New comer looking for advise…help!

• jld235
    Eau Claire

Hi all. I’m new to both your website and river fishing. I’ve moved out of the hustle and bustle of Milw and settled down in the God’s Country. Anyways, I’ve run the lines on Great Lakes charters through my college years, but am switching over to your style fishing. The problem is I’ve never done it before. I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on, and just ordered the video offered by one of our pros. I’m in the process of putting together my arsenol of baits and am looking for some staples you guys always keep handy. I’ve been picking up Shad Raps in sizes from 4-7 in perch, Bright yellow, and blue. And I’m now looking to start in on the plastics. Advise on BfishN’s plastics vs. Gulp vs. Powerbait??? And any help colors would be great. Since I’m just starting out, I need to get a good base of solid producers. Let me thank all of you for your help in advance. I can’t believe how helpful everyone is. I know for a fact this type of generosity would never be found on Lake Mich. I look forward to your future articles.

JD

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Welcome aboard! Not sure what area your in exactly but if you watch these forums it isn’t rare to see a fellow angler looking for company on a fishing trip. Could be a great way to learn this area and meet a new fishing pal.

The best advice anyone can give is this. Read as much as you can here, but when time permits get out and fish!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome JD.

Some of my favorite colors for plastics are a variety of shades in blue, purples, chartrues(of course, every walleye fisherman has a chartruese grub). I have a variety of grubs(3″), ringworms(4″) and super doos. I also have a small selection of shad bodies. This will get you started. BFN, has a great selection of plastics. Let us know if you have any other questions.

If you do a search for “ringworms” and “super doos”, you’ll find all kinds of reading.

Art

I would suggest you hire one of the guides on this site. If you have never fished the river before this will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. The people I have talked that have been out with these guides have nothing but praise for them. They will show you stuff that takes a long time to learn on your own. Welcome and best of luck.

fireflick
    Alma WI

Quote:

Advise on BfishN’s plastics vs. Gulp vs. Powerbait??? And any help colors would be great. Since I’m just starting out, I need to get a good base of solid producers. Let me thank all of you for your help in advance. I can’t believe how helpful everyone is. I know for a fact this type of generosity would never be found on Lake Mich. I look forward to your future articles.

JD

JD,

B-Fish-N tackle has some great plastics. If you look through all the fishing reports you will see a lot of nice fish caught on these plastics. I think these will give you more confidence when you go out. I am sure you may catch fish on Power baits and Gulp plastics but I would feel more comfortable with plastics that I know a lot of people are using in the area.

Some of my favorite colors are

Ringworms
    Purple with while tail
    Pepper Chartreuse
    FireCracker
    Fire n Ice
    Blue with Black core
    Pro Blue

Kalins
    Blue pearl with speckles
    Charthreuse Pepper
    Fire Cracker

I hope this helps.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

Hi. Welcome to the site. I would also recommend buying some firetiger shad raps in sizes 5-9. Firetiger in the murky water always seems to be good.

Tony

evileye
    Milan Il

Welcome to the site JD, Looks like you got some good info already ,If you want to meet some great guys and have a lot of fun ,get a partner and fish one of the four IDA tournaments this year

jguth
    Mondovi, WI

Hello, i too was new to the area about a year ago. There is tons on info on this site. Also a trip with one of the guides was invaluable (riverguiding.com)!! Good luck

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

And check out the Super Doos too on the B-Fish-N Tackle website and if you live near Rochester, Mn. you can get those items at Hooked On Fishing Bait and Tackle. Also there is a video tape that James Holst and Dustin Stewart made on fishing plastics.
    Thanks, Bill

jld235
    Eau Claire

Thanks everyone. I just got the video in the mail today and ran out to Gander and bought some ringworms. Now if we can just get the weather to cooperate I should be out there on Tues. I’m greatly looking forward to it. Thanks again.

JD

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

And check out the Super Doos too on the B-Fish-N Tackle website and if you live near Rochester, Mn. you can get those items at Hooked On Fishing Bait and Tackle. Also there is a video tape that James Holst and Dustin Stewart made on fishing plastics.
    Thanks, Bill

now to make them plastics even more explosive, I have fished with Brian sanders and he has some of them fin tec knuckle ball jig heads that seem to attract alot of attention. they are not that costly and actually seem to work quite well.

here is the website for them knuckle ball jig heads.
    http://www.fin-techco.com

just my 2 1/2 cents worth. they offer walleye packs with 76 pieces for $19.99

shane

hey congrats for finding the best site on the web!!!!! and welcome aboard!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.