Main Channel Ice?

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

With the river still cooking along pretty good, what are our thoughts on getting ice thick enough to fish the main channel near the dams this year? Pools 5a – 9?

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Still fishing out of boats on pool 9 at the tailwaters.
    Tailwater ice typically makes for fishing ice the 2nd week of January on average. Who knows this year though???

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Down by Cass St. bridge the channel is froze all the way across. Dresbach freezes up before Genoa and if the temps stay like they are now I do not see why we won’t be fishing at the dam this year.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I just looked at Flow history at Tremp from Nov 1st to today. Flow has dropped from 70K to the low 20’s. Height has been pretty steady for that time. Its increasing a bit over the last couple days, but not like it going to make any major jumps. Should freeze up as normal. Though…who knows which gates the Crp is going to tinker with…

riverfan
    MN

I’m going to be the nay-sayer. I drove pas Pepin today and there’s lots of water pushing up through the cracks in the ice. From my prospective, the flow needs to be below 10,000 before I’d trust the ice.

Brian Lyons

Hey Jake;
    Good to hear from you!! Stay off the tailwater ice till the flow goes down! Been awhile since I had good eyes through the tailwater ice at Lynxville. Late 70’s i think . Stop by if you get close to Hager City ……B & Family

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

To heck with ice…Hey Dean, are conditions out of Everts looking good for the open water bite?

I’m dying to get back on the water again.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

To heck with ice…Hey Dean, are conditions out of Everts looking good for the open water bite?

I’m dying to get back on the water again.

You betcha and the bite was really good yesterday!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.