Mississippi River Pool 11 question

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks for the advice yesterday. I only have one more question. I got some advice to start by 12 mile and work slow seams there on Pool 11. Don’t know where 12 mile is? I assume down river from the dam.. Surely not 12 miles? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Heading out this afternoon! Tight lines all!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Head down river from the dam about a mile and go through Ackerman chute on the left. Very fast with more current than you’ll ever see on the Miss. Once out of the chute you can head back north to the spillway area(which might hold a few fish) or head down. The first few S turns past Schliechers landing might be good areas to get nosey in.

If you do head to the spillway be careful. There is actually 2 structures. The old one is under water right now and to get around that you must hug the west bank around the U. Go slow in this area.

With the summer and early fall being a total river wreck the numbers should be good.

For baits, consider vertical presentaions with fatheads to start. This time of year, for some reason, a stinger hook really can pay off. Once you find a school you can always head back and work them however you want but for starters, drift as much as you can in long stretches

Hopefully I can start chasing some walleyes next week, after I scratch this dam musky itch

Good luck and please let us know how it goes

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Exactly what Jeff said, 12 mile actually goes from Cassville up to Acherman cut. There are a series of islotated wingdams along 12 mile. There are also some very deep holes on the outside corners worth checking out. They may not be in the deepest holes but holding in the slack edges. As for the spillway it can be either be really good or horrible. It may be hard to read right now but you want to get about 30 feet from it and stay in the rocks. There are 2 main shutes that form deep holes behind them. I would try around these areas first. I have caught a ton of nice saugers in there with some big eyes to boot. But like I said it can be a frustrating chunk of river . Your best option in there would be to vertical jig a three way with a nose hooked minnow. There are some nice crappies,perch and white bass in there also. Be prepared to lose some tackle because 12 mile is a woody sucker. Achermann cut can be good but with the higher water I imagine it is just rolling through there. If the rollers are open you can also try above the fishing barge below the dam. Theres a small slack corner that always holds some fish. Good luck, Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.