Rain and rising water- What to expect?

• stitch
    Jasper County Iowa

We’re heading to pool 4 tonight, and will be there until Sunday. I know the area has been getting pounded with rain, and the water will be rising. Will this hurt the fishing or make the river harder to navigate? I know normally rising water means good fishing, but this is only the second time I’ve fished the Miss, and my first time at Pepin. Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I am not sure which way you will heading up but Hiway 52 north bound from Rochester,Mn to Pine Island,Mn is CLOSED and may no open for a week.

Just a FYI for your travels..Be sure to check with the MN DOT for hiway closings before heading north, No reports on Interstate 35 North yet but heard of some BAD flooding in Owatonna,Mn

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

River…expect rapid changes,current seams will be easy to read.

Lake,try to stay in the cleanest water possible.

It will be a moving target & he who reads and adjusts to the changing water conditions will have the best results.

stitch
    Jasper County Iowa

We’ll either be coming up highway 63, and are all clear. I checked with the MN road conditions website, and the resort, no closures.

Thanks though, it does look like there are a lot of weather related problems in MN right now.

Dean, we’ll be mostly fishing the lake I think, thanks for the advice.

wkw

What do you know about “moving targets”, Dean ?
    That’s an inside joke, folks. But you shoulda been there.
    Good thing it wasn’t the OK Corral !
    WKW

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

63 will take you thru Zumbro Falls and the Zumbro river in thee town is expected to crest on Friday at the highest level ever recorded. You will not find any travel thru the area on 63 and all other majors roads are closed to travel except Hiway 61. Best be making some directional changes.

I just came home from Red Wing on 63 and can tell you that the river at the falls is mere inches from going over the road and maybe has by now. As a side note, the diverted hiway 52 traffic was backed up for about 7 miles going into the falls and was moving at a breakneck speed of about 2mph. And the river is high and dirty.

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Looks like Ben and I made it home just in time….. You guys are absolutely getting pounded with rain…. kind of like Central and NE Nebraska earlier this year. Hope everything goes well.

Layne Monroe

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Sorry bro but this rain will end and keep in touch with Dean and all will be OK. The wind will cause a few problems if the weatherman is anywhere close to being right for tomorrow. The wife and I will be up there soon rain or shine. Look at it this way the bar is always open and you can’t take more then 6 back to the Hawkeye State unless you use have a WI tag which I don’t If I can’t get 6 fish in 3 days then…………..I guess I’ll come home with less Which has happened before But I love the area and couldn’t be any happier even if it’s a bust Take some pictures so to get get my blood running even faster then my blood pressure pills can handle. Good luck and post back on Iowa Outdoors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.