Pool 14

• uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Snuck out to pool 14 Sunday afternoon. Tried a few wingdams but the current and debris were too much for me to deal with. Lots of weeds,logs and the water is still fast and muddy. The northern sand pit produced an eater walleye and sauger with a few stripeys and a 6lb (lip hooked) carp. After that bite died out we went to the southern pit and on the first pass pulled my PB northern. Just over 30″, no trophy by any means but not bad for pool 14 in my opinion. After that it got dark and couldnt pull out anything but drum. All fish were caught on either a chrome and black bandit or a chartruese bandit pulled about 2.5mph. Does anyone no any good ANTI-rain dances? This is getting depressing!

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

We were on the same water today. I fished in the AM until 1:00. I fished the southern sand pit along with 4 other boats. No action for anyone, except 1 old fellow was using minnows for pannies, he caught a few. I jigged, pulled cranks from 2.0 to 2.6, with no luck. And pulled a crawler spinner rig. Nothing, evidentally they liked the rain..

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Sorry, I didn’t see the Sunday in your post. I could’nt even tell where the wing dams were today, the river must be coming up again.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

It is getting depressing . I was on pool 14 Sunday, very tough bite. The water was as dirty as I’ve seen it this year, and the mats of grass were everywhere. We ended up with 3 eyes and 17 nice gills. Pulling crawlers was the ticket. This has been a strange year the wingdam bite in May was fabulous, by the middle of June it was over. The river has been a mess every since. I hope it straightens up, the Fall bite is just around the corner. Just hoping for some dry weather.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Last time I was in the Pits I was with John Mannarino. The water then was higher then it is now. We tried pitching plastics,trolled, rigged and casted cranks with no success. John broke out some of Hutch’s Red-Eye Shad Spoons and the action got hot. When the fish hit these spoons they just about ripped the rod out of our hands. We caught every species of fish that the Pits have to offer. Just a little FYI guys. Good luck next time out.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

Tony, were you casting, jiging or trolling those spoons? I have some of those and would like to know the best way to fish them.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

Here’s what Hutch says…

Red-Eye Shad Spoons

This spoon is definitely a multi-species lure. In deep water, the bass really clobber it, and in both shallow and deep water, white bass and stripers will try to rip the rod right out of your hand. Casting with a slow retrieve while erratically jerking your rod will drive the northerns nuts, and walleyes simply like to eat it.

Remember to tie directly to the wire form coming out of the spoon, no snap as this will cause the line to tangle with the hook frequently.

We recommend using a steel leader when fishing for northerns because we all know how this fish likes to eat it’s dinner.

———

I have caught wally/saugers vertical jigging them slowly when its cold. I dont use them enough.

tony_apisa

Hey Big,

The best action we had using them was to cast out and let settle to the bottom. Then we would just snap them, then let it fall the the bottom on a tight line and snap them again. This triggered the most hits that day. Hope this helps you out.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

Thanks Tony. I’m always looking for new techniques to add to my arsenal. Lets face it, a carpenter doesn’t show up at your house with one hammer.

tony_apisa

Anytime Big. They are a very versatile lure. Don’t be afraid to experiment with them. Have fun.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I had the one eye out Sunday in there with the only taker a sheephead. We clobbered them in there last year on them, but so far this year very spotty. There is just a crazy amount of bait this year , that just makes for a tough bite. I just wish the river would go down so they would move out where there should be this time of year. I won’t give up on them , the closer to October we get the better the one eye seems to be.

tony_apisa

The One Eyes and the Shad Spoons are two different spoons. The first picture is of the One Eye and the second is the Shad Spoon. They are both great lures with different kinds of actions. They’re also deadly on the wingdams.

john mannerino
    Chicago IL

What works best for me is to snap and pause while reeling in the slack. Just about every fish will hit it on the pause. You will get a rythym going working them. They catch alot of fish for sure. Also fishing vert, fish the same way. Snap and pause. HANG ON!!!

tony_apisa

Quote:

HANG ON!!!

Isn’t that the truth.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I have both of them. I like the blue silver shad spoon best , but the black shad one eye is a darn good bait also in clear water.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.