First Pool 4 stage/flow predictions are out

• jhalfen

Here it comes. Dust off the anchors, watch out for the dead wood coming downstream, and start pretending that you’re fishing for bass.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

A stage of 11’ puts the water between the fish cleaning shack and the block wall at Everts if memory serves. If the water holds there Everts will be business as usual (minus some parking) and the fishing should be top-notch for those that can pry themselves away from the mid-channel vertical jig routine and get shallow.

jhalfen

James, do you know when the gates tend to go up? My notes aren’t complete enough (too many missing days) to know with any certainty.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, do you know when the gates tend to go up? My notes aren’t complete enough (too many missing days) to know with any certainty.

I’ve not noted a specific stage or flow when that happens. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one but I can’t say there’s a “trigger” set in stone. If the stage continues to trend as it is in your graph they should pull the gates some time next week.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Jason, could you please share the site you’re getting this info from? Thanks. Nice cake by your avatar today

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

timber eyes coming soon!

jhalfen

Quote:

I’ve not noted a specific stage or flow when that happens. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one but I can’t say there’s a “trigger” set in stone. If the stage continues to trend as it is in your graph they should pull the gates some time next week.

That was my guess too.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any chance you can tag that site or link to it to the top of the forum for a while this spring for easy reference. Im sure there will be a lot of people looking at it daily.

jhalfen

This is from the just-announced flood warnings for areas west of the Twin Cities. The important part is in bold. Keep an eye on those stage/flow forecasts.

Quote:

ANOTHER BAND OF RAIN IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE REGION ON FRIDAY AND WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS WITH THIS SECOND BAND WILL AVERAGE BETWEEN 0.3 TO ROUGHLY 0.5 INCHES. DUE TO UNCERTAINTY IN THE LOCATION AND TIMING OF THE RAINFALL EXPECTED ON FRIDAY…THIS FORECAST PRECIPITATION IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE RIVER FORECASTS. AS WE ARE ABLE TO GET A BETTER HANDLE ON THE FUTURE PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS AND LOCATION…IT WILL BE INCORPORATED INTO THE RIVER FORECASTS. SO PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER UPDATES.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

I really don’t see 3 tenths to 5 tenths as a reason for alarm, I agree with Mr. Holst bring on some (moderately) high water……..

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

James,
    Reading between the lines of your posts, seems spring high water tends to get you a little excited-drop in prespawn and bet that notches up to really excited.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,
    Reading between the lines of your posts, seems spring high water tends to get you a little excited-drop in prespawn and bet that notches up to really excited.

I’ve got nearly 3 weeks more ice fishing to do before I get to float a boat. I’m going a little crazy right now.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I’ve got nearly 3 weeks more ice fishing to do before I get to float a boat. I’m going a little crazy right now.

I’ll be honest James; this is one of the few times I’m not envious of your fishing career

jhalfen

12 feet in a week.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hopefully the rains on sunday and monday end of being more of a pop-fizzle-drizzle. I think we’re “good” on moisture for awhile.

riverfan
    MN

Some of the gates were raised on LD 4 today. Seeing the first muddy water on The WI side.

John

Gooser
    Hager City

I think they pull the gates depending on river flow. I want to say that occurs when the river flow reaches 36,000 cfs.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Quote:

I think they pull the gates depending on river flow. I want to say that occurs when the river flow reaches 36,000 cfs.

That’s correct. Gates are adjusted based on flow, and pulled completely from the water at L&D 3 around 35-36kcfs. L&D3 is one of the first dams to have its gates completely pulled from the water.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

can we get a link posted this chart,and stucked to the top of a page? thanks

rugs
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

That’s correct. Gates are adjusted based on flow, and pulled completely from the water at L&D 3 around 35-36kcfs. L&D3 is one of the first dams to have its gates completely pulled from the water.

Did they open the gates at L&D #3 yet?

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

I should probably just make the trip to Everts for river angling 101.

What does opening the gates mean?

12’ (action stage) means what?

The above posts hint to shallow water fishing for eyes…if the water levels holds? If not, then the water levels would be lower because the gates are open?

How fast is too fast? At a flow of 70, is it best to target backwaters ?

If someone has any links to some previous posts on same types of questions, let me know.. Im trying to at least get an elementary understanding river conditions this time of year.. Thanks.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.