1st trip to pool 14!

• philput
    Knoxville, IL.

Well 1st trip wasnt bad. My girlfriend & I launched Sunday morning @ Le claire nice ramps, we headed north to near the nuke plant fished with 3 ways she with spinner rig & I with slow death leeches n crawlers baits of choice made 3 passes no luck we seen 5 walleyes caught but not in my boat. To me weather was decent just no wind.
    We decided to head south and fish wingdams fished the faces of the wing dams in small sections since we had them to ourselves, her first drop 16inch plus walleye on northland fireball short shank hook orange & yellow she was smil’n. So for the next 3 hours we concentrated on a couple wing dams verticle jig’n. We ended up with 4 walleyes, 2 grease release and 2 shorts I’ll give you one guess who caught the 2 shorts and a major mixed bag of fish. large mouth, catfish, some dandy blue gills a nice 29 inch Northern & no I didn’t catch it either mama caught it on a crank bait trolling just before we left all from the wing dams. We had a great time in pool 14! Look’n forward to goin back.

One things that i was surprised about was the water clarity in 14. Is that normal this time of year?

Thanks men for all your posts its the reason we went. This is a real quality site.
    Sincerely, MaMa & her guyde

Fishon1
    Eastern Iowa

Way to go. When you said you saw other walleyes being boated by the nuke plant can you help me out where they were fishing? I am always looking for new places to fish.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Nice job! What size jig were you using?

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

3/8 & half ounce seemed to work best on the wingdams, i wish i would have spent a little more time troll’n since we didnt have much wind. Still alot of fun
    thanx P hil

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Phil, glad your first trip to 14 was a fun one! The ‘eye bite will most likely slow down in August through mid October, but come fall the bite usually gets very good again.

On the water clarity, I think there are several contributing factors. As Triscuit said the vegetation on the shoreline is a great help, and the zebra muscles filter out a LOT of silt. Another big factor in my opinion is the marked reduction in fall plowing and the increase in no-till farming across the midwest. Much less topsoil being washed into the system to be stirred up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.