pool 4

• mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Super Day out on the water but it was cold!!! Started out jiggin for sauger in about 26ft, down river a tad…. super, super bite… caught some very nice size fish and kept some smaller ones for super…. I had the cousin’s with me today and they wanted fresh fish for home.

we caught most the fish on 3/8 oz with a platic coller and a half a nightcrawler and they just slammed it…. we ran out of crawlers so we switched to shad that they were puking up. and they wacked that, then to plastics and they hit them as well…. finally went back to everett’s for some more crawlers and went out for round two…. wow ….

The past three days after dark we have been hitting shallow rock shorelines for about an hour or two at dark…. Three nights ago was fantastic action the biggest about 21-22 and the next night was slower but still a couple nice fish… tonight was slow but Dirk W from the board netted a fat 26inch pig that was released…… hope you can get out tomarrow after the packers woop the vikes!!! The bite has really been great with not a boat in sight…… happy new year all!!!

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

If anyone is interested……..

fished pool 4 today for about 1 hr 1 1/2 or so cought some nice sauger in about 29 ft of water…. not as active as when we had the cold snap but still fun….. I rarely ever use a trailer hook …..but a buddy left one in my boat and it helped bigtime today….. ended up keeping two for lunch in a net at everett’s for supper….. but the dog had other ideas and decided to set them free…….. if you get a chance to get out ….GO!!!!! no boats on the river and it is buetifule out there …….. plus the weather is warm!!!! That golden eagle really is a huge bird compared to the Balds……. if you get a chance to get out that is worth the trip itself!!!!!!!

I almost forgot … all fish cought down river a bit…..and jiggin 1/4 oz jig w/plastic coller (chartruese) and 1/2 nightcrawler…..

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Mavzer,

Thanks for the report, where has the golden eagle been seen? I would like to view one… By the way I respect the fact that you use crawlers in the winter.

Minnows – plastics- crawlers- blade baits – spinners -cranks the point is catching fish, and not being a livebait or artificial man, or thinking that if you fish a certain way your way is superior. Way to be real.

Keep Catchin’

Turk

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

way to Mavzer, living close to the ramp does have it’s advantages. alot of folks, including me are a little envious .

what is the inches of the biggest Saugers you’ve seen. I am thinking real serious about heading down this weekend.

Jack

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I have seen the golden eagle near the locks…..(Minnesota side of the Y) really cool…. I can’t believe how big it is…. I have seen it many times now…. unless there is more than one….. but those balds really know when to back off when it is around…..

Jack I was hoping you were coming this weekend….. steve told me you were thinking of it…. anyway the sauger bite was really super during that cold wheather with 19 inch sauger not uncommon…… thursday was pretty o.k with some 14-16 incher’s and a couple dinks…… I have been catching a ton of small 14 inch walleyes…. good to see….. those bigger fish Walleye’s are still shallow on the rocks in the evening… I used to give up on them when it got real cold late …… but this year I have stuck with them shallow and it has really payed off…….. I was gonna get out today w/Dirk but my girlfriend is sicker than a dog w/the flu……. so I am playing doctor today…….. (that sounded bad)

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

You didn’t miss much Mike. We fished within 2 miles of the dam but didn’t get much going. We caught fish but the size and numbers were way down when compared to what we’ve been spoiled with. Oh well, that fishing and there’s always next time. Anyone else get into em? I’m also curious as to whats going on down river if anyones willing to share.

jbb
    Minneapolis area

I was on 4 today too. Caught good numbers of fish but quality & quanity were definatly down. Nice to be on the water again.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I was on Pool 4 with my buddy on Saturday. We fished below the Y on both the MN and WI side but just caught small fish. We did see a few 15″-17″ saugers get caught but most were in the sub 14″ range. We moved downstream and drifted from Hay Creek down towards Bay Point park and found some 15-17″ saugers. Chartuese jigs with 4″ chartuese rigworms seemed to work best for us. There was also another boat trolling cranks in that area that seemed to be doing real well.

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

I was in that boat trolling cranks. We had a blast. Released a couple sauger in the 20″ range.

fireflick
    Alma WI

edsall, I was with my dad when we were talking to you. You guys were trolling cranks later in the day by us. Iasked you what kind of reel matzo had. Did you like those trolling rods? what kind were they? I have been looking at getting a set for my trolling boards. We also let couple of 20+ inchers away. I couldn’t believe the size there. Thanks fireflick

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Jedsall,

It sure looked like you were having a blast. Every time you passed us it seemed like you were reeling in a fish, sometimes two. (You were in the boat that had the Zacho Sporting Center decal?) They also seemed to be decent sized for the most part.

I didn’t see what you were pulling or how you were getting them down. Were you using three-ways? Also, if you don’t mind, what type of lures were you pulling? I’ve tried trolling some cranks for a little while the last couple of times out but haven’t had much success.

I was out in the grey Alumacraft Lunker with the 40 hp Honda.

Thanks a lot,

Boone

Slickerb
    Central WI

What Color Cranks were working. I like to fish wally’s and sauger but I need better color and setup descriptions. Thanks for the help. (I’m Just a Rookie)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.