Black Bird

• rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

Anyone know if there is enough ice down there to venture out on? I have the family Christmas this weekend, and thinking of hitting a few of my old haunts! Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!

Chappy: Are ya still getting the craps in that secret lake by your house?

Cory Frantzick

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Nope, once she froze over,they’re gone. Still a few people fishing but not staying long according to Chappy342.(Brother) I have been in contact with a guy who say’s he’s been hitting blackBird lately but it’s slow. Better in the mornings and right before Night but still slow. Let me know if you’ll be down there ,maybe I can sneak away Sat.morning for a couple hours. Parties Friday night and Sat. night.

rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

Thanks for the report!!

It’s looking like Sunday morning! You better not party as hardy Saturday night! It would be great to hook up with ya!
    Is the river in Hastings still open? I only have a few hours in the morning Sunday, so my other option was bringing the boat down…..What would you suggest??

chappy
    Hastings, MN

As of this morning on my way to work she’s frozen in. I could probably get down there Sunday morning. I think ya need to get there before 1st light.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Where the heck is Blackbird?

Gator Hunter

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I believe they’re refering to the Blackbird Tressle on the Vermillion River, just outside of Hastings. It’s a real good ice fishing spot for walleye and sauger and the nearby Dushanes landing area can be VERY good tip up fishing for pike.

Or maybe I’m COMPLETELY wrong!

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

You are right James.I have fished it several times now in the last couple of weeks and my experience has been a very slooooow bite.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How’s the ice between the landing and the tressle? That area can be dicey in the middle of the winter. I would think some of the ice in there might be a little on the thin side yet. Although the typical fish down there just doesn’t run real big, lots of 14″ – 19″ walleyes and saugers, I have iced some pretty good numbers of fish on small jigging spoons + a minnow head.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

I enjoy the privilege of a private access so,I don’t know about the ice-conditions up-stream and yes,it can be bad ice in there.The river is as low as I’ve ever seen it in 20 years and with less current than than you normally see in the winter.There is much shoreline exposed on both sides of the river so,that might help when hiking up or down stream.Hope that helps.Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.