Trolling motor blues

• fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I made it out on pool 12 last evening with a friend. We headed straight to the dam that I have recently been finding the walleyes stacked on. I’ve been taking most of the fish trolling a crank parallel to the dam with my electric. The very first pass last night I catch a 23″ walleye. We release the fish and I go to turn the boat around to pull the opposite direction and SNAP goes one of the push-pull cables in my trolling motor. Absolutely no control of the trolling motor so we were unable to use it the remainder of the evening. We tried pulling using the big motor but I have a console and this particular dam is not all that long so controlling the boat was a major challenge. Plus because of the low current level I had to position the boat close to the dam which I think spooks the fish more when using the big motor than it does the electric. We ended up tossing out the anchor and throwing cranks but found no takers. We tossed out crawler rigs and caught a couple more walleye as well as a few other species. I’ll admit that I haven’t fished anchored with live bait rigs like that for many years. It was kind of relaxing compared to my normal methods of fishing and it was fun as there was plenty of action but I certainly don’t want to make it a habit. I’ve got to get the broken cable in my trolling motor replaced ASAP. I feel shut down without it. It is a Minnkota Maxxum and I’ve got the parts list. All I need to do is take the thing apart and figure out which cable and/or parts to order.

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

That will urine a guy off.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Eyehunter,

The cable only runs about 15 bucks and is actually pretty simple to change out. Should only take 30 minutes. I just had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

What a bummer! Changed out a few in my day,its not too bad. If you still have trouble Eye hunter, the boys over at Midtown do a good job. Now,about those Dubuque “eyes”, if you know the fish are there anchoring can be relaxing and deadly at times,looking forward to your next report

superdave
    NE IA

If you can’t find it locally, I’m sure Bob’s in Marion would have it. If your heading this way that might be an option.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Eyehunter,
    I know there is a guy up by lansing that fixes minn kota trolling motors and he may be able to get the part for you if you have trouble. Hope it works out for you. Jeweler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.