Pool 2 update

• walzer
    Afton, MN

What a difference a week makes. Last weekend was pretty slow to say the least. With the stable weather this past week, this weekend produced much better results. I fished Friday and pulled in about 12-14 walleyes, 1 sauger, and about 4 bass. We hit a bunch of different wingdams, usually pulling a couple of fish from one spot, then down to the next one. I did find one wingdam that I have never fished before, but I’m glad I did this trip. We pulled 6 fish from that spot in about 15 minutes. 3/16th oz. Precision jig heads were the ticket again today. Dark colored ring worms seemed to outproduce lighter colors. Purple and black were the hot colors for most of the day. With the excellent forecast for this week if you can hop on down and fish I would highly recommend it. I think the bite should stay pretty consistent as long as we don’t get another major cold front moving through.

walzer
    Afton, MN

Another nice one.

walzer
    Afton, MN

My dad with a nice eye

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pigs!!!!

Shoot your photo’s to [email protected] along with your display name and you’ll have a couple new avitars!

Just wondering…what type of line were you using?

walzer
    Afton, MN

Will do Brian.
    I use 8lb Berkley Sensation in the Solar color.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I said it before and I’ll say it again, you guys are wizards. I was down there for 8 hours today, caught my one sheephead, and then went home. I don’t get it.

Rootski

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have you noticed are the fish holding on certain areas of the dams? I havent been out pitching dams in a while and this no flow to the river sure is a change. You must of ran over that new wingdam to find it. They sure are not putting any ripples in the water to show themselves.
    Have you guys changed your presentations at all for fishing in these low flow conditions. It seemed to me the only pitching options where to throw straight at the dams and hop the jigs back or park at the ends of the dam and swim the jjigs arcoss them by slowly realing in. Pitching jigs and thinking the current was going to move them for you just didnt seem to be happening.

walzer
    Afton, MN

Probably 98% of the fish I have caught down there have come from right on top of the wingdams. I concentrate on the outer 1/3 of the wingdams, although I have caught a few fish on the inside of the dams. The low flow does make it very difficult to determine where the dams are and if your cast is not right on top of the dam, you’re rarely getting hit. I haven’t really changed my presentation from what I normally do, you just have to use a light enough jig head to get the proper drop speed. 3/16th oz seems to be about the right weight right now. When there’s too much wind or not enough wind to make the dams out you really have to make a guess at where that ripple line would be if there were more flow. You want your cast to be as close to the top of the dam as possible, and I’d rather have it go past the dam and drag it over than not hit the dam at all. What might work pretty good if you have GPS is to position the boat about a cast length away from the wingdam and go all along it and then use your trail on the GPS to later determine your position on the dam.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thaks walzer. I will have to try out the GPS. Laying some tracks now may come in handy for night fishing.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Nice Fish Walzer!

Mike,
    I have been throwing a marker out on near the dams with my customers in the boat. This helps everyone identify where the spot is that they need to cast to. This works very well right now. I know its old school, but it works. The GPS works good, but for someone not ever being to these spots, the marker gives them a great visual to where they need to place their cast. Even with the amount of time I have on Pool 2, I still find the marker to be a great tool for those long dams that are unmarked by a channel buoy. Takes the guess work out of it. Just remember to pick up the marker before you leave to the next spot….

fredbart
    St. Paul

II also know about your frustration! This fall I set out to concur my inability to catch more then one walleye per Pool 2 trip! I did it; I caught two- once! Each trip I would go out more prepared and ready then the last, equipped with all the right lures, line, etc. But, most of the time I get it handed to me, while fellow anglers seem to have a magic I don’t!

This past spring, I started out the same way. I was prepared, ready and confident. While other anglers reports great fishing, I just couldn’t put it together. However, after several trips I added one missing variable, when I changed this one little thing I really had some great fishing. What I did was changing how I view the walleye, instead of concentrating on the bottom parts of the wing dams, I fished over the wing dam bringing my lure to the top then working it down. When I added this my catch rate went up by easily 60 %. I now know my problem was being stuck in an old model and I had to change my assumptions that fish would not be up this high in the water column.

I think this is what I am missing on Pool Two this fall. I bet by adapting and changing just a few little things I would be more successful. The problem is of course, which one! But I think this is what is so much fun, but frustrating!

On thing I am doing as I work to learn about fishing plastics, etc is going down to Pool 4. Between Everts and the dam I know there are lots of fish. What I can do is practice learning different methods and techniques and have a good chance of being successful. This template has help me transfer these learning’s to Pool 2. Nothing bets success!

Another piece is that I know that Pool 2 is a different and demanding fishery. Big walleyes behave in different ways then smaller fish which does place a different set of demands on the angler. Your more then likely not going to get bit as often, but when you do it’s worth it. So understanding that I am working for few but bigger fish helps settle me down.

Confidence is such a key to Pool 2. What I am learning is that lure fall rate and location are really really important on this fishery. Each trip I mess around and little more, I try to remain flexible, adaptive and try (which is really hard) to suspend previous ideas about how to fish walleyes. Eventually this will pay off, at least I hope! But hope is not a strategy.

The cool thing about IDA is we can all learn together, sometimes the success you don’t have is a more valuable learning tool then we might think. Make it fun.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Great post, Professor!

ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

Quote:

Just remember to pick up the marker before you leave to the next spot….

Ha!! been there a few times now. Had two drift away from me the other night and just dead out forgot to get them. You can never remember why you left your cat box in the boat till you need a 5 oz weight and an empty pop bottle

walzer nice fish. Gotta love P2!

beno
    St. Paul

I concur, great post professor. Sometimes frustration can get the best of you.
    Gotta think like a piggy walleye!

fredbart
    St. Paul

Which may be appropriate for Thanksgiving week! Dang, got to go to my In-laws in Wisconsin. I expect to read some great posts when I get back!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Nice looking fish Walzer!

Thanks for the report!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.