pool 18

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

They must not be doning anything about the nets as they are still 200 yards below the dam. Imagine how many walleye are being killed because of those nets. Fish are biting there though and good……………..

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

Fish are biting there though and good

That’s a big 10-4.

There’s nets at the Muscatine dam too. I haven’t witnessed it but I understand theres been some shouting matches between the sport fishermen and the commercial guys there. And, nets have been moved and cut up. They are not only snagging fish but lots of Rapalas as well.

If these were nets across a Salmon run river someplace I doubt the DNR would be so lax about the situation.

Fishing has been pretty dang good on both pools though.

constructit
    Monmouth, IL

Was out on 18 this afternoon from 1-4 and the bite was light. Ended up with 8 walleye 5 shorts and 3 between 18 and 26 all released. All fish came on jig and minnow vertical jigging. Depth varied from 12-20.

Good luck to all.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

High point of our day today out there was tossing a little sheephead into the water below an eagle perched in a tree nearby then watching the eagle swoop down and grab it.

Made up for a day’s worth of dinks anyway. Toughest November day I’ve ever had on the river.

esox60
    Aledo, IL

Got out this morning. The rollers are down now. The resent change made for slow fishing. Only caught small saugers. Nets are still out.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

Only caught small saugers. Nets are still out.

I’ve written to the Iowa DNR about this situation. It would be nice if they got several letters (or emails).

How they (the DNR) rationalize closing some dams to fishing during this season yet allow nets being strung from bank to bank at other dams is beyond me. The longterm effects of this really need to be addressed.

This is a serious issue. Fishing has done nothing but improve down here on 16, 17, & 18 for the last several years for all gamefish. Commercial nets at pivotal seasonal times could turn it all around quick. One person can sure foul things up for everyone.

esox60
    Aledo, IL

Did you notice today that another guy is netting now. He is from Illinois and his nets start where the guy from Arkansas ends. The illinois guy has more nets than the first guy. The nets go all the way down to almost the 2nd wingdam on the Iowa side and go from mid-channel to the Iowa bank. That has got to hurt even more than the Arkansas guy’s nets.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

Did you notice today that another guy is netting now.

I did see a whole bunch of nets further downstream today but didn’t realize they were from a second commercial fisherman. This is disgusting. Maybe we should all get our commercial licenses and start putting in nets from New Boston to the dam. Or, do what was done in Muscatine and start pulling and cutting up the nets.

I’d vote for a closed season in order to get this stopped.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

I would hate to see it closed by the dam like in dubuque but if thats what needs to be done to protect the fish populations I am all for it.

I ended up over the nets the one time.I didn’t realize how many he had out. I was rerigging and looked up and was between 2 markers.

Jeff

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

dang, that sounds like a big deal! I would be all over the situation too, if i was you guys. I don’t know if damaging the nets is the best way to go at this time, but it sure must be tempting! sounds like the Wisconsin DNR isn’t the only DNR group that needs to get upside the head!

esox60
    Aledo, IL

I am in no way in favor of a closed season. I don’t believe there is a problem with sportfishing on the walleye population as long as the present laws are followed. If there is then adjust the laws before closing the season. This is my favorite time of year. Something needs to be done but closing isn’t it. Maybe limiting the number of commercial nets within 1 mile of the dam. Commercial guys have to make a living too. I have probably spent over an hour so far closely watching them pull in nets (less than 15 yards away) and have yet to see a walleye or sauger in the nets. It may hamper the migration but it doesn’t seem to hurt their numbers.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

I am in no way in favor of a closed season. I don’t believe there is a problem with sportfishing on the walleye population as long as the present laws are followed. If there is then adjust the laws before closing the season. This is my favorite time of year. Something needs to be done but closing isn’t it. Maybe limiting the number of commercial nets within 1 mile of the dam. Commercial guys have to make a living too. I have probably spent over an hour so far closely watching them pull in nets (less than 15 yards away) and have yet to see a walleye or sauger in the nets. It may hamper the migration but it doesn’t seem to hurt their numbers.

I’m not in favor of closing a season either but I’m also not in favor of allowing one or two commercial fisherman to block the channel and 1/2 of the area that we’ve fished over the decades with nets.

It’s the consensus here from several locals (with hundreds of years combined experience fishing this pool) that this is the toughest November in memory.

But, I’m getting off my soap box and dropping this thread. Commerical fishermen gotta make a living too!

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

I have probably spent over an hour so far closely watching them pull in nets (less than 15 yards away) and have yet to see a walleye or sauger in the nets.

One more last word. Today I was flagged over by the gentleman (he was indeed a Gentleman) that is commercial fishing with an Ill license. Was about 0800 and he had just pulled up to his first net. I was about 50 yards away or so, wondered what he wanted, pulled in my rig and motored down to him.

He just wanted to tell me where the walleyes/saugers were.. right there where he was pulling up his net. He had 9 gamefish in it within 30 yards. One was a walleye that would have gone between 6 to 8 pounds and the rest were 1 to 3 pound saugers. I was an arm’s length away talking to him as they pulled the net in.

I counted 32 bouys marking nets within one mile of the dam. There were several more bouys on farther downstream near the fourth wingdam.

esox60
    Aledo, IL

Neil, Didn’t mean to upset you. I saw the guy from Arkansas net a 5-6 pound walleye sunday. Also netted 4 others. All were released quickly and swam off. I agree that the fishing has been very slow for this time of year, but I think they are now starting to make a move. The reason I think is water temps. In the late 70s and early 80s the bite would start in mid to late October. The temps have been stable for several weeks and should start falling soon I hope. I also agree that there are too many nets but I don’t believe that is the major reason for the slow fishing, just one small part. The increase in Commorant and Pelican numbers hurts too. Look at Leech Lake for the last 10 years.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

The fall is one of my favorite times on the river. I would hate to see a closed season. From what I have seen and heard the issue seems to be shareing the river with the commercial fisherman. There does’t appear to be a big fish kill. The few local commercial fisherman I have met have been friendly, if not even courtious.

I agree with Neil I think its time we move on to a new thread for pool 18 eyes. I hope no one takes offense to this post,that was not its intention. It has been fun to meet some of the local walleye fisherman in the area.

See you on the water

Jeff

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Glad to hear that the nets aren’t killing all the fish that get tangled up in them. I’m looking forward to fishing new boston as soon as it gets cold, whenever that will be. thanks,

herb
    6ft under

While I agree the commercial fisherman needs to be able to make a living, he can go farther downstream and catch just as many fish rather than blocking off a natural migration route for the eyes and sauger. Some might say the fish can just go out into the channel around the nets. Not likely since the barges are still running heavy down here and those fish will try to stay away from all that commotion and turbulance.
    As for the fish that are being released once they are caught in the nets, well, that all depends on the type of net being used as to whether they will survive or not. Hoop nets aren’t much of a problem cause the fish just get dumped out. But when trammel or gill nets are used, those fish released are very stressed. I mean VERY STRESSED, plus their protective slime is nearly all removed. Yes, you can watch them swim away, but with the combination of the stress and removal of the protective slime, many of those fish aren’t going to make it.
    Trust me on this, I know from experience.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

But when trammel or gill nets are used, those fish released are very stressed. I mean VERY STRESSED, plus their protective slime is nearly all removed.

I’d never see how fish were removed from trammel nets until talking with the fellow from Illinois the other day. He was cradling that big (6 to 8 pounder) between his arms and chest as he used a hooked tool to scrape along the fish while pulling the netting over it. During this process he dropped the fish a time or two onto the floor of his boat. After he finally got the gal untangled he dumped it over the far side of the boat – which I couldn’t see. Tossed it like it was a hunk of 2 x 4. I was so sickened after watching this I purposely averted my attention from the guy “releasing” the other 8 fish from the nets and just talked to the older gentleman in the boat with him (these were the fellows with the Illinois license).

Lets get commercial licenses next year Herb, head up to pool 4, and see how things go! : )

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Commercial fishing on upper pool 4 has been restricted for a long time. I’ve never seen a net in the river north of the lake and I know that for some good portions of the season commercial netters can’t place nets north of the Rush River.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

Commercial fishing on upper pool 4 has been restricted for a long time.

so much for my publicity seeking idea…

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Just now received this from the Iowa DNR:

Dear Mr. Toland

Marion Conover has asked that I respond to your concerns about commercial nets set below locks and dams 17 and 18. I have contacted the local conservation officers and been assured that the nets are set below the required 900 ft. mark. The rules state that commercial gear cannot be set closer than 900 ft. below any dam. The nets are also all legally tagged as required. Although the nets are required to be tagged they are not required to be buoyed. I can understand that this can sometimes cause problems when anglers get there lures and jigs hung up in the nets. I am assuming the nets are set to capture sturgeon as the commercial season just re-opened on October 15th. As you are probably aware commercial fishers are not allowed to take walleye or sauger or any of the sport fish species. The DNR has recently made changes to the season and size limits for sturgeon and we are currently conducting studies to see if these regulations are working or if they need to be modified.

The closure of some dams to sport fishing in the winter was done because of high mortality rate on walleye and sauger released by anglers after being captured in deep holes below these dams. We are currently studying the effect of these closures to determine if there are other dams that may need to be closed.

Thank you for your comments and concerns about the fishery of the Mississippi River. If you have any questions you can contact me using the information provided below.

Bernard Schonhoff

Bernard Schonhoff
    Fishery Biologist
    Fairport Biology Station
    3390 Highway 22
    Muscatine, IA 52761

Phone 563-263-5062
    email [email protected]

herb
    6ft under

Neil, I think the only thing that will get these guys to pull up, [other than what we discussed the other day], will be the cold weather due to move in.
    One question, is it legal to camp at the landing? Where is this guy from down south staying at night?

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

One question, is it legal to camp at the landing? Where is this guy from down south staying at night?

Sent you a PM thingy Herb… just hate discussing all this publicly. If folks knew what was actually going on there might be a riot… As a pacifist democrat raised in the 60’s (albeit reformed in my old age) this really riles me up.

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

If anyone is so inclined, the Iowa DNR would appreciate any input regarding commercial fishing in this area. I just received the following:

Mr. Toland

Please don’t feel it is necessary to apologize for asking questions or being concern about Iowa’s natural resources. It is the job of the IDNR to address questions or concerns any citizen has about our natural resources.

To answer your question you are on the correct route right now. The DNR and especially the Fisheries Bureau values the input of Iowa’s anglers. Because of your input this problem is now on the radar of not only fisheries but also the Law Enforcement Bureau. This morning Marion Conover, Chief of Fisheries, sent an email to request input from us field troops as to how best to address this issue and what if any changes can be made. We of course want to consider both the sport anglers and commercial anglers in trying to address this conflict between the two interest. Fishing regulations are set by Administrative Rule and unfortunately this is not a fast process. It often takes 6-months or longer even after a course of action is decided on for regulations to work through the system. That means no matter what is decided it won’t be possible to change anything before the river freezes over. Field staff will be sending recommendations into Marion and all 3 of us management biologist assigned to the Mississippi have already today began discussions as to what options should be considered.

My recommendation is that if you have any suggestions as to how this issue might be addressed that you send them me and I will add them to the list for consideration. If you know of other anglers that have an interest in this we would also value their input.

Again, thank you for your interest in the natural resources of Iowa.

Bernard Schonhoff
    Fishery Biologist
    Fairport Biology Station
    3390 Highway 22
    Muscatine, IA 52761

Phone 563-263-5062
    email [email protected]

herb
    6ft under

I just want to thank Neil for staying on this issue. I know how dedicated he is to fishing and how this problem with commercial gear is ripping on him.
    Thanks buddy.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

Neil,

Thanks, I will be sending an email.

Jeff

constructit
    Monmouth, IL

Just wondering if anyone has launched out of New Boston lately. Thinking about getting out this weekend if the ramps are open.

Thanks,
    John

herb
    6ft under

You might try calling ahead but the town of New Boston and the fishermen do a good job of keeping things open over there. A lot better than the Iowa DNR will do for us at Toolsboro. The only problem you might have at New Boston would be if the ice stacks up at the ramps. My guess is you’re fine to go.

constructit
    Monmouth, IL

Thanks Herb,

I am going to try and make it out on Saturday and Sunday. Was supposed to fish the Illinois but she is still running high and very dirty. Will post how we do.

Thanks,
    John

rrouff
    Aledo IL

Hey John,

I just called New Boston Bait and Tackle (309-587-3096). He said there is a little ice floating on the river, but the ramp is fine.

Jeff

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.