Anybody have a Dubuque report

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Anyone been fishing for eyes?

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

slow right now lots of little ones but for a up to date report call eagle point fishing barge at 608 748 4443

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I haven’t been out in a long time but from the reports I have heard things have been picking up. They have been getting some nice saugers pulling rapalas up by the dam and they have been getting some nice walleyes on One Eyes below the dam as well. I guess the One Eye bite has been pretty good below the big dams over the past couple of weeks now with several nice fish taken in tournaments. There was a tourney in Trempealeau a couple weeks ago as well as a tournament in pool 11 (Guttenburg) last weekend where the top finishers all weighed-in their limits of some nice size fish. They were fishing below the dams with One Eyes. I’ve never fished a One Eye but all they are is a weighted jigging spoon of sorts. I guess they cast them out and jig them back as well as vertical jig them. Let us know how you do if you get out.

Eyehunter

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Thanks for the update guys.Eyehunter,WE had a real good 1 eye bite last year to.Found out today my captain might have to do the family thing this weekend,on the boat.But there is still penty of time to catch some eyes.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I might get a wild hair and hook up the boat over the weekend. I haven’t been out at DBQ in over a month. I’ve been busy but did have a couple buddies persuade me to go sit in a tree stand last Sunday afternoon. Next weekend will be my official start to the bow hunting season but this weekend I might just wet a line. I love fishing but I also love bow hunting and I only get to do that for a month or so out of the entire year. I used to be an avid upland bird hunter chasing grouse and pheasants all autumn long but once I picked up bow hunting I lost interest in most other types of hunting. I still go bird hunting later in the season but now I look forward to the opening day of pheasant season because the bird hunters chase the deer out of the fields and into the thick cover. I always see a good number of deer opening weekend of pheasant season.

Eyehunter

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

I like to bow hunt to eyehunter,it’s suppose to really get kool this week,that should really start them moving.Sometimes it’s hard to decide on hunting or fishing. I love this time of year

S Bromley
    Clinton, Iowa

Help, What is a One Eye spoon, where do you get them, and how do you fish it? I love fishing eyes with spoons.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I did not get out this past weekend but the most recent reports I have heard from the Dubuque pool is that the bite was pretty dead this past weekend. A few small saugers getting snagged by people jerking blade baits but other than that I guess things were pretty slow. The pending cold weather should turn the fish on by the weekend but I’ll be sitting in my treestands all weekend.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I don’t know if I’d call a One Eye a spoon. It is more of a spoon-shaped lead weight. I don’t own any but the guys who used them recently did fairly well. They are sort of shaped like a spoon but made out of lead. They have a treble hook on both ends. One of the treble hooks has a tiny little spinner blade attached to it. I guess you have to tie your line onto one of the hook eyes. Different looking contraptions but from what I’ve been told they work quite well. Most guys vertical jig them like you would a jig or a Sonar.

Eyehunter

S Bromley
    Clinton, Iowa

Eyehunter, Thank you for the reply.
    Does anyone know where to buy any one eye baits?

riverking
    se iowa

scheels in iowa city had a good selection last friday.

MrTwister
    Dubuque, Iowa

I have never used a “One eye,” but i own a couple. I know they carry them at the Bait Shack in Dubuque. They used to carry them at Cabela’s in PDC – but I haven’t been there in a while to confirm this.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Battchief, Landing 615 in Guttenberg has a boatload of them. Jamie can tell you exactly how and when to use them. Also a friendly tip, if you fill in your location on your bio people will know your whereabouts and give you better information on where to get them close to home. They have their time and place, just another tool in the arsenal. Good luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.