“May” Fishing Advice

• kapnjim

I just received my turkey tags in the mail, they’re for the month of May. Will probably be coming to the river area on May 7th to fish and hunt. What is the walleye bite like in May? Any tips for this time of year? Should I bring my boat or just concentrate on gobblers??? Thanks! – jim

kapnjim

Oh yea, I should say I will be coming to the Lynxville, WI area of the river…….jim

bigpike

As long as we arent in a prolonged flood like seems to be the case the last few years, bring the boat….Pre spawn Large Mouth, Spawning Crappies, Gills coming in shallow, Walleyes putting on the pre summer feed bag….The possibilties are endless!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Middle may is one of those times of the year a river guy wishes would never end. High water, and I don’t mean flood water’s lapping at the roots of the trees, I love that, but the nasty floods like the one in 2001, can make life tough. Barring that, its one of the most productive times to be on the river. Bring the boat. Shoot that bird at the first opporunity and fish the rest of your time here away!

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

That’s a loud YUP. Depending on when the Smallmouth run comes, and the guys were right when we discussed it here last winter, (1st -3rd week of May), I usually completely abandon walleye for a couple weeks and hit the smallmouth.
    Unbelievable back to back action of what some folks consider trophy smallies. We use pinched barb hooks and Taylor Fluttertails, ringworms or Miz tubes and leave everyday with sore arms. The only thing that even comes close is the first big run of Musky to the shallows in October.
    The downside though is if you miss the run 20-35 walleye/sauger days and a random yard stick pike are all you will have to look forward to. Get the picture!!!!!! When you come up be sure to stop in at Falling rock to find out what’s going on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.