Post deleted by FTR Webstaff

• swimwizz
    Prescott, WI

Don’t assume that walleyes won’t take mayflys off the surface. I once read an article about a guy who caught walleyes in a lake in off the surface with a fly rod, so if you see fish coming to the surface try it. I have caught walleyes on topwater bass and muskie baits at night.

walleyefshr
    Kansas

I have read articles regarding this. The gist of stories were that its possible to “match the hatch” but being eye guys and not knowing anything about flies, they used half or quarter length worms on a jig or hook. I have always wondered as well if using a gold ribbed hairs ear, or pheasant tail nymph pattern would work. Worth a try I guess. Have the bosses kid tying some GR hairs and pheasant tails for me as we speak. Tought the youngun to tie em and now feels a need to overload my fly box….darn problem to have….lol

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I have seen walleyes taking mayflies off the surface, up on vermillion at the very start of the mayfly hatch…. (right at dusk) as far as I could tell all species were taking the “flys”…. it should be possible to cast to the fish that were active as they did not seem to move far, since pickings were easy…..

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

I was fishing last june 2000 on kabetogama, fishing was alright, but were on the move to find fish. We seen the mayflies hatching, and fish hitting the surface to get them. So we started throwing a leech on a green hook with a bead. We caught alot of fish for a couple of hours. The next night we went to the same place and again caught alot of fish. Of course there were more boats in the area, most from our resort. Have a beer or two and talk alittle and people really listen. It was a great trip, this year we went the end of june and found the hatches. tried sevral presentation’s but they weren’t takeing. guess you got to find out what works and use it.

who uses the fishing charts and do they work?

Thanks Jim

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

A couple of years ago we were fishing East Bearskin on the Gunflint Trail. It was during a Mayfly hatch and Walleyes were surface feeding in 30 to 60 feet of water. We used leeches on a slip bobber set 2 or 3 feet deep over this deep area and caught fish. The Walleyes we caught were packed with Mayflies…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.