Pool 2 update from 11-22-02

• DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Had a chance to share my boat with Travis (aka..Ripinpigs) on Friday night. We spent the evening pitching light jigs rigged with Kalin tails of ringworms to some assorted wingdams. The bite was not hot and heavy but we managed to pull several fish from each spot. The bite was a toss up between the two of the plastics that we were each throwing. We did manage to pull a few nicr fish to the boat in our journey. Attached is a pic of Travis with a nice 25 inch fish. This fish fell victim to lighly rigged Kalin tail that came from the very top of the wingdam. He was gentlty dancing this plastic from one rock to the next.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Here is Travis with another nice walleye. This fish was around a 23 incher that fell again to a Chart/white Kalin tail.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Here is a pic of myself with a 25 incher that hit a ringworm on the front face of the wingdam. This fish completely inhaled the plastic. My needle nose pliers could barely reach the hook to remove it.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Yep, I had a great time on Pool 2. If anyones is looking for a great guy to show you how to fish wingdams, DeeZee is THE GUY. I learned a lot in just a few hours of fishing, and had a blast. Even though the bite was not “hot”, those fish were pounding the plastics if you got it right in front of ’em. It was my first chance at throwing ringworms, and I’ll definitely be stocking up on them.
    DeeZee showed me the what a difference in plastic/jig size can make, and keeping it right in the strike zone for those ‘eyes. It’s definitely not something that you just pull up to a wingdam, throw the anchor, and expect to start hauling in the fish. There’s definitely a method to the madness.
    Once again, thanks to DeeZee. Great guy to fish with.

-RP

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey Steve,

I see you’re wearing one of the new style LED headlamps. How does it work compared the the old fashioned bulb style?? Is it as bright?? I know they are lighter, but they are double the price. Thanks!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I have bought mine earlier this fall and it was very bright when I got it. But now its pretty dim. I left it in the boat many times over night. So, I am sure that did not do it any good. Rippinpigs just picked his up on clearance somehwere and his was very bright. (Brand new)

I like the amount of light it has, only gripe is the button is a little hard to push, small and sensitive. When you have gloves on, it becomes a little bothersome to turn on and off. You get used to it and it gets easier. Overall, a little spendy for my taste if the battery is shot already? I am not sure if these are replaceable or not? I have not looked that close at it yet. Very small and lightweight.

Not sure if I will buy another one of these or not. I have no problem spending the money on a good one! Invaluable out on the water at night. I have $10.00 lights that still work very well, that I keep in the boat for a spare.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What a rough life haulin in all those nice fish night after night! I’m jealous!. Keep the pics comin Bud. Thanks, Bill

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I fished Pool 2 Saturday morning. I put in at St. Paul Park and worked the wingdams up to the airport, drifted around the edge of the channel by the airport, and fished the wingdams again on the way back down. The bite up the airport was very good but the fish were mostly small… a lot of 13 inch walleyes. I did have one about 15″ and a 17″ sauger. I picked up two walleyes on the wingdams, the nicest at 22″.

Anybody lose a knuckle ball jig with a firecracker Kalin… I pulled I fresh one up off one of the wingdams?

Boone

kooty
    Keymaster

I looked at them last night, it appears you should get plenty of hours out of the LED style, according to the package anyway. The one I looked at ran on AAA batteries, maybe your batteries are just shot??

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Waterfowler,

This is the Aurora model right?
    I think I will just throw some new batteries in there and give it a shot. Why am I surprised if I left it outside in the boat for about 2 months now and question its life expectancy? DAH!
    I will give it a try and report back.

Thanks for the heads up.

kooty
    Keymaster

Yes, Aurora was the make/model that I was looking at. Let us know if the battery issue solves the problem. Of course with this cold snap, you might be sittin on a bucket soon…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.