Pool 4 “WOW”

• Hoss

Just returned to Iowa after 3 days of fishing. Everts Resort in Red Wing treated us great, locals were friendly, and fishing was great!!! Limited with eaters, released the big ones, 3 ways were our ticket.

bigpike

Everts is a blast, all the old timers are super friendly and a wealth of info when I stayed there. Ask them anything and you’ll get an honest answer, my friends are already planning for next falls fishing trip. Also its good to hear that three ways are still producing I might get a chance to hit it on Monday or Tuesday. Glad you had fun!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Great to see you guys on the site. Thanks for the sharing and hope to see a post on how you do fishing on Mon. and Tues. Thanks, Bill

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Thanks for the comment Bill. Hoss and I and 6 other guys from SE Iowa spent Wed thru Sat at Evert’s. It was the first trip for several of the guys. They are already talking about when to go back! It was my 3rd trip up this year and was probably the best fishing as far as numbers. As always Steve was a great host. I also know that the information on this site is a great help at getting the most out of a four day trip like this. Thanks to everybody!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sounds like you guys had fun-Great! Steve really does run a nice resort and always good fishing info. In case you didn’t know, Steve use to be a Mn. DNR guy before he decided to operate a resort and be around fisherman all the time. Hes a wealth of info so you get your “cake and eat it ” when you go there. Bill

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Yea, Steve had told me he was a DNR officer at one time. Bill, do you spend all year chasing the eyes or do you get after those smallies on Lake Pipen in the summer?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Thanks for the kind words guys! Glad you had a good time and the fish cooperated. I look forward to seeing you guys up here again soon. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to chat with you guys the day you left. Those damn weddings keep getting in the way!! LOL. Not that it matters, but I just wanted to let you know that I wasn’t a DNR “officer”, just did the creel surveys. I had the opportunity to talk to a ton of fisherman and really learn a lot about pool 4 from all of em. Fisherman are the best source of info to learn about any body of water. Thats why this website is so helpful to everybody that reads it! Thanks again guys and we’ll cya soon!

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Careful Steve….the bride to be might be reading theses posts…lol…besides we got alot of quality time with the pooch Ziggggggggggy! Still has a ton of pup in him!! Anyway, who do think we come up there to see…..you or Ziggy? LOL! We use Ziggy for a barometer…when he wags his tail its time to go fishing! Thanks for the time spent bud…we know you have alot of irons in the fire.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I didn’t get down into the lake much this year as I spent most of my the time up in the river. Haven’t done any smallie fishing for a couple of years, but hope to change that next year. Have spent alot of time changing equipement the last two years. Changing and trying out different rods, reels, bought a different boat and its rigged different than my last one. Even played alittle with remote steering on my kicker and some handlining. Next year I plan to get more use to running the front trolling motor from different areas of the boat plus using some plastics more as the reports on the site are tooooo good to pass up. Still have some of my new rods too that I haven’t used enough to feel comfortable reading them from different areas of the boat yet. Next year I hope to spend more time on the water as most of the new toys have been bought and the different tow vehicle will now tow the much heavier boat. So, with all that said, I hope to get in some Smallie fishing along the rocks, some white bass fishing [fun fast action] and of course my walleye fishing. And during the week I’m looking forward to some bass fishing and crappie fishing at Lake Zumbro, a wide deeper area on the Zumbro River, [only 12 miles from home], between the Mississippi River weekend fishing. Thats my plans. Have you made your yet? Where do you do most of your fishing? Bill

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Hey Hoss! Next time Steve and I will teach you guys how we catch the bigger ones . Ditto on the great fishing . I think now we should have came in for lunch and stayed out later in the evening for some wallies. We will get em next time it was too much fun pounding the nice saugers.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Bill, Spend the majority of my time on Pools 18 & 17 when after eyes. Usually will hit a few other Pools above those two in Iowa for fun. Started going up to Redwing this year. Twice in the spring and just got back Saturday from a 4 day trip. Was absolutely great! I catfish alot in the summer on a couple of smaller rivers that are close by, but have made it my goal to learn more about fishing for ole moon-eyes in the summer. I will be breaking in a new boat and motor this spring myself. It will be my first V-bottom. I have used a 18′ Applebee Jon for 20+ years. It will be a switch to get used to I’m sure.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What kind of rig did you get? Come on, spill the beans. Whats the new one got for toys?

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Went with the Lund Alaskan..Wilderness Series, putting a Mercury 75 4-stroke on it. Its about a foot longer than my Jon and eleven inches wider. It will be a little heavier but with the footprint being wider I’m hoping that I can use it on the small rivers when they get shallow. Keeping the Jon for now, but hope to get down to the one boat. I’ve got a older Johnson 6 horse for a kicker if I need it and a couple of years ago I purchased a Motorguide Lazer II 65. Planning ahead with that one. Boy does it ever push the Jon. LOL There…the beans are spilled…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sounds like you got just what you want. I have a Johnson 6hp for a kicker on my Lund and it works great. Have fun with the new rig. Bill

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.