Pool 2 10/14

• walzer
    Afton, MN

Had to opportunity to get out on Pool 2 Friday with my Dad. The water is still very high and very muddy. Due to the conditions, we focused our efforts on current break areas, mainly pitching plastics close to the bank and slowly working it back out into deeper water. We had limited success with only a few fish to show for, but my Dad had the pleasure of boating his largest walleye to date.
    This beauty measured in at 28.25 inches and went an even 9 lbs on the scale.
    All in all, it was a great day to be out on the water. Things should only start to get better from here on out.

sealegs
    MPLS

The Sealegs made it out on Sat from 4-7pm and managed 6 walleyes the biggest being 21″. we got ours trolling shad raps close to shore. Debris was an issue but not as bad as i had expected.
    Sealegs

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Congrats to your dad on a very nice fish! I’ve always been kind of under the impression that plastics work best in clearer water, but have noticed on this site that a fair number of the “big girlz” fall for plastics in the soup too. If you don’t mind sharing, what exactly did he catch it on?

Good fishn to ya!

walzer
    Afton, MN

The fish was caught using a 4 inch purple ringworm. We tried going with the cranks for a while, but couldn’t get anything going on them, so switched up our presentation to plastics.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Walzer,

Congrats to your Dad on the nice fish! Thats a beauty!
    How deep did that fish come from?

I made it down on Friday afternoon for a couple hours. I managed to scratch 8 fish out of a current break. Biggest was just under the 27″ mark. All my fish came on a chartruese 3/8th oz Jimmy d hair jig. I had one real good bite on a YUM 3-1/2″ Croaker tail, but missed her.
    Looks like the water is starting to come back down and the waters are slowly clearing up compared t oa week ago.

Congrats again to your Dad on a great catch!

walzer
    Afton, MN

Thanks Steve,
    That fish was caught in about 8 feet of water, just on the outside of a shoreline pocket.
    With the water levels receding now, and hopefully clearing up a bit, this should be a great weekend to be down there.
    I haven’t tried too many hair jigs, I’ll have to give that a go next time; it seems they are really working for you.

Derek Wallraff

john23
    St. Paul, MN

3/8th oz hair jig?!?!?!? That’s a mighty big chunk of lead for casting! I sure hope the water calms down over the next week or so…

John

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

3/8th oz hair jig?!?!?!?

Yeah you get some funny looks when everyone in your boat has a helmet on. Finesse is the key!

I agree, seeing the water come down will be a welcoming sight. Right now the fish I am finding are right on the edge of the current seam and even a little more into the current than out…BIG JIGS!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.