Live bait vs. hair

• Eric Ahlstrom
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well James I did bring minnows with me this last weekend as you were so observant to notice and point out but they didn’t help. We didn’t catch to much all together. Just a bunch of eating sized walleyes and a few small sauger. I didn’t want to go deep for those saugers so we stayed shallow (less than 15ft)pitching jigs up shallow and we found walleyes but definitally not much to talk about. I was throwing hair jigs that I tie myself and kalin grubs while my friend was throwing a jig/minnow. Since fishing was slow he figured that he stood a better chance of catching SOMETHING if he stayed with live bait. But in the end he hardly got anything. While the fish were hitting the hair decently he kept coming back with just the head of the minnow. LOL he was really starting to get frustrated.

We pulled a few small eyes of that one wing dam but not the big boys like I was hoping. I plane to head down there again this Sat and hopefully I can get out there somewhat early. Make sure to leave some of those pigs in there for me this time.

Eric Ahlstrom

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hair has been real slow to turn on for me this fall. I’m catching some fish on it… Dustin and I fish together and he sticks with plastic like an intelligent sort and I take a stab with the hair…. and I come up with the short end. He tries it… same story. We’re just not doing well…. yet. I know that good hair bite is coming… that bite when everything but hair is a waste of time.

Can’t comment on that evening you fished on pool 4. I remember talking to you and having to leave for the day with customers. Not sure how that afternoon would have panned out for me obviously. The last couple days have been SICK good on stickbaits mid-day with a good run of walleyes on plastics early AM.

Funny how fast the bite changes…

Eric Ahlstrom
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well I can’t say that the hair bite was all that good for me either but I didn’t have much luck with the plastic when I first got out there. But then again I didn’t get out there until 1 pm. But I was able to pull some fish on the hair. You had me all excited about throwing my smallmouth grubs then it just didn’t click. So I went to my confidence bait. I can always pull something on hair.

I was wondering why you left. We got a few small fish once you left but we didn’t stay much past sundown since I had to drive 2 hours north to work all night (until 7 am). I plan on being out there this sat and I will be throwing plastics up shallow. I am hoping a little earlier start will help. Hope to see you out there.

Eric Ahlstrom

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Why did we leave? Good story there…lol Customers from southern Texas showed up in tennis shoes and jeans. They held out longer than I thought they would but once that sun got low, it was time to go! I didn’t want to leave, not with dusk approaching, but my guys were really getting cold. If it’s not fun, it isn’t worth doing… so we called it a day.

See ya’ next time down buddy!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.