Pool 2 – Sunday

• dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

We hit the river at noon and based on Saturday’s report from Jon J we headed to the airport. We found fish in the channel that were willing to take a jig and minnow combo. Most of our fish were walleye from 12″ to 16″. Two of our largest fish were sauger that ran 19″. One of these was taken with a jig and shad body. It helped prove to my brother that larger fish can come with plastics.
    Dino

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I thought about that after I got home. Of the 30 or so fish that came on a jig-only 1 sauger and nothing over 17 or 18″. I wondered if plastics or hair would get some better fish.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Sounds like the airport is starting to come alive now in the past week or two. Good to hear.
    How deep were all you guys having your best luck. Mid-channel, edges?

I had a mid-30’s for water temp on Saturday.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

We were concentrating on the east edge along the buoys. There were a couple of areas that were holding more fish than others. With only 3 other boats out there we were able to work the spots easily.
    Dino

DONOTDELETE

What was the flow like? Did you have to go heavy on the jigs? It’s good to see the airport bite starting up!
    I’m hoping the barge traffic starts to slow down a little but as usual we’ll most likely have to wait for the cold weather to influence that…

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

The flow was not too bad but the S.E. wind was more of a problem. It was slowing our drift. We had to run the trolling motor to keep the boat going downstream at the same pace as the current. This way 3/8 and 1/2 oz worked good. There is no doubt that you had to keep verticle and right on the bottom. The fish were there.
    Dino

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.