Pool 2, Saturday Nov. 9th

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I spent a few hours on the Pool 2 wingdams this morning and had a good hour on the channel tip of one of them. I pulled up a 22″, a 23″, two at 25″, and a 27″. The 27″ incher was incredibly fat…. I weighed her at 8 lb 8 oz on my digital. Then things just went dead. I jumped around to several other wingdams but only caught one more at 16″. I caught most of these on jigs with 4″ tails but a couple came on 6″ creek chubs. I guess I just happend to be at the right spot at the right time. Makes me wonder if I wasn’t at that spot at that time if I would have came up empty or did the whole river turn on at that particular time?? It was a beautiful morning to be out on the wingdams; that SE breeze really made them stand up.

I was on Pool 4 Friday afternoon/evening but only managed to catch one decent walleye and several small saugers/walleyes. It looks like Steve and Mav sure did have a good evening.

Boone

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Dinosaur and I got out for a few hours Friday. Pretty slow till sundown. The better fish got active after dark including this good one Dino is holding. (See attachment above) Big plastics on the wing dams after dark! This one came on a big shad body and light jig.

Wow what a weekend… its just before 2 pm and in between trips. can’t wait… 3 more hours till dark… Love this time of year!

J.

JeffBerg
    Minnetrista, MN

I’ve been out several times in the past few weeks. Lately, the main channel has been produced numbers of fish in deep water just off the current. I haven’t had much luck on the wing dams, however, I’ve been fishing during the day. The backwater produced big a couple of weeks ago but has been slow the past week or so.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Boone,
    Was that you in the C-liner, with the 35 Rude? I fished the wings until around 12:30, Red Lund Pro V, 60 Merc. Tiller. I also put a number for fish in the boat, several in the 20 inch range, my largest was 26, but that was when I came back from up river, around 3:30. I went up to the Minnesota and fished the confluence for about an hour, with no success. Worked my way up fishing the short rock piles/wings with no success. So I went back down to the end of the airport where I took that 26 incher, and a nice smallie off the end of the wingies in about 15-17 feet of water. The action was constant on the wingdams, but nothing huge. Lots of nice white bass, and the usual sheepies.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Same reports here..
    The wingies have been some what dismal during the day, but the after the sun goes down, the fish start to feed. I had nohing huge this weekend, several fish in the 22-24″ range.
    Heavier jigs and plastics to fish the front deep side and then light and big for the tops and front faces. Plenty of snags to contend with, but if you are not in there, you seem to elude fish. Making contact with the bottom (rocks) definately helps a walleye hone in on its availible meal. I had several fish last night that absolutely drilled my offerings after I dislodged a snag. This catches you by surprise!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

TBO/MN

I have a grey Alumacraft Lunker with a 40 hp Honda tiller, so it wasn’t me that you saw. I put in at St. Paul Park and headed downstream from there. I didn’t see anybody else fishing that stretch of river…. just some hunters. Pool 2 really has a lot of wingdams. Most of the fish I caught were in about 13-14 ft.

Thanks for your report,

Boone

boone
    Woodbury, MN

DeeZee,

Do you ever use rattles on your jigs or those whistler jigs? I was wondering if this would help the fish hone in on the jig at night.

Boone

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Boone,

Funny you say that, I was playing around last night during prime time bite to “experiment” with different offerings to gain some confidennce sort of speak and I pitched a light ringworm (with rattle) up on top of the wing dam and let the current sweep the jig across the top and face and most of the hits were due to the bait just making contact with the rocks. Although this is not uncommon to happen at all, I felt like the rattle may give you a slight edge on those cloudy nights.
    As far as whistlers go, I have not had one on in awhile now. I have about 300 whislter jigs in my box with all my other jigs and I have not given them a fair try yet, but would think that they have their time and place as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.