Red eye’d walleye

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

All the talk about light penetration, and the like got me wondering even more why a lot of the walleyes we are getting out of the backwaters, and shallow parts of the river have red eyes? It seems that it is more prevalent on the larger fish, say over 4 pounds. The pic’s that we sent in last week that are on the board are evidence of this. It is something that I have noticed over the last few years, and have only noticed it in the summertime.

Wierd????

Tuck

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hmmm interesting… almost sounds like some sort of parasite or disease… or maybe they have been drinking too much? I will look into this and see if some explanation can be found…..

JimW
    SE MN

SUre your not catching rock bass? (jk) That is wierd! Red eyed dads!!! Hmmmmm

DONOTDELETE

Maybe it’s got somethin’ to do with where your fishing tuck.

Chappy

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Good one Chappy! Do you think nuclear discharge may have something to do with it?????? It might explain why the fish are so hot down there!!!!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

We have always joked that the fish below the nuclear plant are pre-cooked…also respond to the question “Do you ever EAT fish from the river?” with “Turn the lights out…I glow in the dark”….doohhh!

fireflick
    Alma WI

If you use the red eye dot remover for pictures, that you can buy a wal-mart, the fish won’t have red eyes anymore. It is the camera. Another thing that some cameras that are more expensive have a red eye remover. Just a thought.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

How does that explain the red eyes the fish have BEFORE we take the pics? We caught 2 more 7 pounders last night with the same appearance. The smaller fish seem to have the “Normal” walleye appearance.

Also, do you know that the fish in Pool 3 have the SAME health advisory as lake Mille Lacs? Interesting……

JimW
    SE MN

I have an idea. If you have kept any of the fish for digestion purposes, I ‘m curious to know what was in their bellies? Sometimes pigmentation relates to diet? Thought red eyes could possibly relate to the forage! On a lake in Manitoba that I fished, the walleyes main diet was fresh water shrimp. The fish themselves had a light pink hugh(sp?) to their skin. I guess my question I pose is, could their diet effect thei eye color?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.