Big Walleye’s on bucktails

• mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I had the opportunity to share a boat today and learn a new couple new tricks..

I have never fished with bucktails before and but after today I am a believer.. I went out on pool 4 with a buddy (wayne) form down south. we started out casting bucktails along rip rap for whitebass with awsome results… I have been strictly a platic guy… but I have seen the light.. or I should say the eyes….

we cought the first eye a nice eater about 19 inches.. then we cought another about 10 minutes later.. around 28 in.. put him in the live well ran back to everts (wich was very close) for some pics and grabbed a camera and turned him lose.. we went back out for some more and we cought the mother load.. 30 incher,,, another 26,27 a 25, some more nice eaters,, more whitebass, and lost a couple sows.. went back for a break… then one last session,, that brought another 10 pd walleye to the boat…. unreal day.. when it was all said and done we cought about 6 trophy fish… I am a beleiver in bucktails…. truly a great start to the memorial day weekend and a day I will remember for awhile…. I will try to get some pics up as they come…

Reefhawg1

What size and color of bucktails were you using?

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Wow, sounds like you had one of those days that everyone dreams of and that seldom happens. If this is one of those once in a lifetime things I know I haven’t used mine up and I’m looking forward to it. Can’t wait to see the pic’s and great job on the release’s. I thought you only fished for the wiskered variety of swimmers. Steve

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I fish for most everything.. I just enjoy catfishing the most. I started a catleague this year with steve (everts resort) and me and him are in the last two places! my partner and boat both kinda abandoned me last night.

The color of bucktails that we were using were the red/blue combo worked great…. Green was on fire, any type. I also tried white, yellow, black without much success

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Can I have all you chartruese twister tails???

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

ha ha NO!!!! I still know that they will work in certian situations…. I am no longer a one trick pony …. 2 tricks…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

mavz… Im a big belieaver in bucktails… what size head were you using? must have been pretty light… 1/4 or lighter?

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

You will NOT be snitching my bucktails like you do my plastics!! However, I will tie you up some for $1.99 each.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey mavzer,

was your bucktails tipped with any bait?

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

No, they had no biate… the guy makes them that i was fishing with. I guess they are a little diffferent than the ones you buy normally… I don’t know if that was the difference.. I went out today and cought a walleye and sauger messing around catfishing in the backwaters tossing jigs.. amazing what a guy learns every time out there..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey Mavs,

Got a dumb question. What you consider a bucktail, is it a hair-jig?? I consider a bucktail something typically thrown for pike/muskie. So, what do you consider a bucktail??

Thanks!!

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

actually… Wayne the my fishing buddy had them… he makes them.. but they actually are not bucktail’s they are more of a heavy hair jig… a lot less hair than bucktails (real sparse) I know what you envison as a bucktail.. because I thought the same thing but these are really different..

alcoholic

bucktail in my eyes are just a plain ole deer tail put on to a jig, buck is the dominate gender so thats were the buck comes into effect…, we call it a bucktail or just a plain hair jig,,,,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.