Lake Pepin, water depth clarity after rain

• flanders51

Does anybody have any knowledge as to the fishability of Pepin after heavy rains like we have had/will be having?

I am trying to get a day off this Thursday, but I may go elsewhere if the water is way up and dirty. I thought that Pepin may be a little less effected by the current/high water problems that the river experiences. I am also not adverse to trying some new high water techniques on Pepin – I just don’t want to waste a day-off.

Thanks for any thoughts.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Pepin should be good to go Thursday. IMO…..rrr

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Ps Flander PM me Wed. I will let you know what I hear on the pepin….rrr

flanders51

Quote:

I will do that. Thanks for the response.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

I will do that. Thanks for the response.

..UP Date…From what I see and hear now I think your BEST BET is the South End of Pepin. From Lake City mn and Stockholm wi to the FOOT of the Lake is where you will find the cleanest water now. Good Luck.!! Let us know how you do. …rrr

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

RRR,

I took Friday off to fish some of the back channel and the north end of the lake…. Any chance of this improving before Friday morning? Seems unlikely right now.. I would rather not be sitting in chocolate milk if I can just move the trip to a few days later..

Thanks!

flanders51

Quote:

RRR,

I took Friday off to fish some of the back channel and the north end of the lake…. Any chance of this improving before Friday morning? Seems unlikely right now.. I would rather not be sitting in chocolate milk if I can just move the trip to a few days later..

Thanks!

I am feeling the same way. It is not that I can’t try the lower end of Pepin, I just don’t know it very well. Thanks for the intel.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I wouldn’t look for any major improvement before the weekend. Hope I am wrong but right now it is MUD.!…rrr

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Well tomorrow’s trip with some friends is getting pushed into next week… But still may go check it out on Saturday.

Has anyone had much luck the past few days with the high/muddy water?

cboutdoors

How is the condition of the river shaping up for this weekend? Is it worth the trip to Lake City to pull some cranks?

flanders51

Quote:

How is the condition of the river shaping up for this weekend? Is it worth the trip to Lake City to pull some cranks?

I fished out of the Lake City area yesterday (June 5). The water was muddy but not horrible. I did not have a lot of luck pulling cranks for walleye, but I might have been on the wrong spots. I did, however, catch a lot of other fish, including: drum, smallmouth, catfish, rock bass, and I am sure something else. Fun multi-species day. I could put no pattern together for the walleye until I grew tired at the end of day marking fish and not getting them with cranks or harnesses. I stopped and did some snap jigging off a point and finally put a couple short walleye in the boat. I did have a nice tussle with a large drum on the snap jig. That was a riot. I thought I had a huge walleye but it wasn’t to be.

Anyway, there are fish biting. Conditions aren’t perfect but I am sure somebody could put a pattern together. I think leadcore would have helped but I am still not set-up for that. I will be soon.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Friday update,…yes the water is muddy and full of debris until Lake City. Bait didn’t work well for us so we started trolling with 4 lead cores about 11:00. Wasn’t bad,…took 12 fish but it wasn’t hot action either. Firetiger and pearl were the best colors. Uncomfortably hot with no wind. Good luck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Something you know already…

I’ve been taking water clarity readings for the MPCA directly out from the docks at Everts. I have about 8 weeks of readings.

Once the Mississippi dirtied up, the secchi disk readings were always around 34. Last Friday it came in at 19, or about half of what it’s been.

Today’s tidbit of info…

shockers
    Rochester

Bummer. Keep us posted, BK. I think we’re all impatiently waiting for conditions to improve.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Looks like the water is going to be dropping over the next couple of days… Anyone think the north end of the lake will be clearing up as well? Wondering if I should be taking Friday off!

redneck
    Rosemount

It is hard to guess that far ahead but I would think by Friday the bite should be getting better. I fished last Thursday through Sunday on the north end and caught fish every day. The bite was not on fire by any means but with some searching there were fish to be caught. I don’t think I caught a walleye on a crank all weekend—I had my best luck keeping live bait in their face until they finally ate it. I spent more time anchored than moving just because they wanted it that slow. The fish did not leave the north end and they have to eat at some point. Let’s just say that if you are on the right spot when they turn on you can put a bunch of fish in the boat in a hurry!!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.