Pepin Report 05/21/14

• flanders51

Went out on the lower river and Lake Pepin yesterday out of Colville marina. Water temps from 57-59. I fished the lower river again and picked up an eater walleye an an eater sauger that was still releasing milt. Action was slow and fish were caught relatively far apart.

There was a northwest wind so I figure that Pepin might be better against the shoreline with wind. I took a long boat ride down to Maiden Rock and saw nothing but mud and silt in the water. I trolled cranks anyway and caught nothing. I put in a lot of time yesterday on the cranks and really did not do that well.

Finally, I located a big pod of baitfish off a point eddy on Pepin. I trolled around to see if there were any takers and that said “it is time for something different.” I tied on a three-way with a worm and started getting bites slow trolling at .6 mph. I caught the biggest darn perch I have ever seen! 11 inches! I caught a couple small walleye and a sheepshead before thinking hmmm. . . James Holst says fish like Rippin Raps. I only had a small #5 Rippin Rap, but I threw it out there and it worked. Probably picked up 8 or 9 fish with a 19 inch Sauger being the biggest fish. I caught probably four Saugers at about 4 inches on that thing. Couldn’t believe they kept hitting it.

Moral of the story, the trolling bite was slow. Finding baitfish was key. Slowing down and presenting baits to fish was much more important than moving around.

stuart
    Mn.

We spent the day below Lake city and found 18 short eyes in about nine hrs of trolling.A lot of debris in the water and where it gathered off of points is where we picked up ours fish.Couldn’t really put any thing together for bigger fish but it beat the heck out of working.

flanders51

Sounds like we had similar experiences. I wished I had trolled less, but it certainly did beat working. Awesome weather!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

We got 11 walleye and 4 keeper sauger today in Lake Pepin. I bet we put back a dozen short walleyes which bodes good for later this summer. All on bait. Minnows, worms, and leeches about the same. Fish were a bit deeper than I expected,…19-24 fow.

shockers
    Rochester

Good to hear. I hope to make it out tomorrow afternoon and try crawlers.

Btw. Where’s the James report? Rumor has it he went out today?

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

I talked to a buddy up at the greenway station who said he did well on walleyes in lower pepin on cranks this week. Had to sort through some but there were bigger ones in the mix. 15 to 18 fow.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Trolled pepin from deer island to the town of pepin 5/25. It took us a while to figure out, but fish were RIGHT up against the shoreline; in about 8 fow. About a 50/50 mix of 10-15 inch and 15-20 inch walleye. Flicker shads and walleye divers outfished shadraps for me.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Good to hear. I hope to make it out tomorrow afternoon and try crawlers.

Btw. Where’s the James report? Rumor has it he went out today?

Best I can do is offer a report from when James was “supposed” to head out. He couldn’t make it, but I ended up doing pretty well with another buddy. Here’s what I found on Friday.

Early Season Crankbait Report

Joel

shockers
    Rochester

I gotta practice the crank stuff more. Great report, Joel. I can sorta crank it up, but a bit challenging for speed control on my boat.

I hit Pepin Sunday with mostly live bait and caught 2 15s and one 22. Had a great time. Pretty busy and it’s always amusing watching the ‘chaos’ at the launch during a holiday weekend. I see the water levels are projected to steadily drop this week so…hoping that helps the bite some.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Fished head of lake area Thursday and Friday with very good results. Trolled lead the whole trip with #5 & #7 shad raps, flicker shads and storm smash shads. We caught fish all thru days in 13-21 fow depending on clouds or sun. Most fish were in the 17″ to 18″ range with some 20 inch fish. Water temps were 55 to 57 for us. Wish could have stayed over weekend and fished the lake, buddy stayed went to lake and did very well both days with lead also.

flanders51

I went out again with my dad on Monday. I could not believe how much the water temperature changed from last Wednesday to Monday. The river went from 57 degrees to 67. The lake went from 59-76. That is quite a jump.

The walleyes and thunder-pumpers were still around. We had a nice crank bite in the hot weather. A lot of shorts, but I had a couple 17 and 20 inch walleye. Fun day with my dad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.