LINDY RIG

• NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Can someone explain how to fish the lindy rig… I usually cast crankbaits or drift and jig for the eyes. With the lindy rig do you troll, anchor and cast, or drift and drag the rig???
    Thanks and tight lines…

Brian Lyons

Hi Noel

I normally drift or troll very slowly when fishing Lindy rigs. Just drag it slowly with an open bail, keeping the line tight with your finger. When you feel a bite release the line and feed em for a bit,everyone has their own opinion on how long to let them go,then set the hook.

You will come with plenty of empty hooksets while you gain experience and “feel” for this method. You’ll also get alot of fish!

NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Thanks Big B !! Now I have to figure out what to do with ALL that ONE fish that I may just be lucky enough to catch… The best teacher “Experience” has at least this one student…
    Tight lines…

raysresort
    Sauk City, WI

I’m going to be giving these a bit more attention in the coming weeks myself.
    They’ve been quite successful on the lake up here and I want to give them a fair shake here on the river and see what I can pull out.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Noel, should’ve said something when we were out last weekend. I’m sure some of those saugers would’ve given us a chance to practice up.

The hard part is letting them run with the bait and holding off on the desire to rap the bail closed and lay into ’em. The real trick is picking up the slack and knowing when to throw in the hookset. Basically just like B said, and when you feel the tick, drop the line. Pull line from the reel and feed it out with your left hand for a few seconds, then close the bail. Now comes the hard part. Start reeling very slowly and when the line tightens up, if you feel any weight or bounce, stick ’em with the hookset.

As far as boat control (your original question), I usually do it in relatively still water where there’s enough wind to push the boat. Heavy current causes a lot of problems with the rig itself, since the boat is drifting downstream, dragging the weight downstream with the current taking the bait in front of it downstream (see a trend here?) I usually end up with a tangled nightmare if the current is too swift, but if you can slip the current with the electric motor and keep the entire rig downstream, it can still be effective. One thing to remember is that the rig is designed for lakes, where the fish is essentially running away from you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.