Suggestions

• wmcox
    Clinton, Iowa

Hey everyone I’m gonna pick your brains a bit. I am gonna completely replace all my gear this year. What you you suggest for new rod/reel setups? I have been looking at some 7′ combos that seem pretty good. Also I run 6lb fireline. I am looking into switching up and trying some new line. I was looking at suffix. Both mono and braid. Is their braid any good? Have heard a few good things but also some bad things. I love the sensitivity of braided line. Plus I fish a lot of wood piles and rock so the abrasion resistance is a plus. Just looking for a few ideas.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Price range for each?

wmcox
    Clinton, Iowa

I’m willing to pay for quality equipment. And forgot to mention I’m looking for a spinning combo. Possibly a bait caster too but mainly the spinning combo.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Everything you’ll need including answers to your questions will be here!!! Well, you’ll need to pick up the phone to ask and receive answers to your questions. It will be well worth your time.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m of the thought you don’t need more than a $200+ rod, especially with braid. Can’t say enough about my Rage 610 Mxf. Since using this rod on the river my hookups have gone up by double easily. Handles smaller jigs 1/16 good, and excels with 1/8-1/2oz. I like mono myself with this setup. Used fire line, liked it, then to suffix, hated it, and with recommendations from many guys on here tried powerpro and love it. So sensitive and casts heavenly. Pflueger purist size 30. Can go smaller but i like the rod to sit comfortably at about 10oclock for pitching jigs. Fun to shop for the new setup hope you enjoy whatever you get.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I use some suffex 832, strong,no stretch, HOWEVER it is subject to wind knots and tangle.
    I did have a palomar knot failure with it. It does cast well though aside from those things.
    I got a couple of rods spooled with Berkley Crystal Fireline. It seems to cast well without the wind knots.

Just my experience,others may have different thoughts and findings.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Custom rod or name brand rod?
    If you don’t want to deal with the custom stuff then I would recommend the St. Croix Tournament Legend. Yes its pricey.
    I know someone that has one the is willing to sell it. PM me if interested. Also I do know some people that like the Limit Creek rods as well.
    I would recommend Shimano Stradic they are great reels but I know a bunch of people that have the pfluger reels and they seem to be great. Line braid for jigging and river fishing, mono for live rigging.
    Good Luck and have fun buying!!!

wmcox
    Clinton, Iowa

Thanks for all the replys. I bought my new tackle box today lol. Cutting down on how much gear I actually bring. Dont need all the junk I used to carry. I believe I found a couple combos I’m gonna check out. Just need to set up a trip to cabelas. So for the rest of the day it looks like I’m gonna be sorting and cleaning up my old gear. Need to reline everything and oil my reels. Then once it is kinda nice out I’m gonna go after my boat. She is still full of duck hunting gear. So ill post up more when I actually buy. Thanks again.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Go as high as you can on the rods, when it comes to Walleye fishing the reel basically is just a line storage device don`t need a high end reel. Anything in that $60-$80 range will work great. My StCroix Legend Extremes wear Shimano Sedona`s. If bait caster then spend some bucks on the reel.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Go as high as you can on the rods, when it comes to Walleye fishing the reel basically is just a line storage device don`t need a high end reel. Anything in that $60-$80 range will work great. My StCroix Legend Extremes wear Shimano Sedona`s. If bait caster then spend some bucks on the reel.

Couldn’t agree more.

For my plastics rod I’m using a $250 daiwa rod and a $29.99 shimano sienna. The reel just holds my line, the rod does the work.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Went into the big C to get a plastics rod for some SMB, had my mind pretty much set on the Compre 7’2″ $120. Brought my reel in and literally must have put that thing on 20 different rods. Ended up with a shimano sellus $65. I felt like I should get the omen, or compre, convergence, or Abu vendetta which all run much higher $$ BC the more you spend the better it gets right? Still got my PB SMB on it, and the point I want to get across is get a rod that feels good to you, don’t look at the price tags first, look at them last, and focus on how it feels in your hands. It is kind of hard to do, was for me, but worth a shot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.