rare catch?

• josh a

My dad caught a goldeneye yesterday on pool 2. It was the first one either of us has ever seen. Cool looking fish, just like a moon eye only with gold eyes, this one was 15.5″. Is this a rare catch? We also caught 8 walleye in about 14′ fow, using a 3/4 ounce jig with 2 headless fatheads was the only thing we caught fish on, also got 2 cats in the 3-5# range

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Any pics of this goldeneye? I’ve never seen one of those before

josh a

I’ll hopefully have the pic posted sometime tonight. From what I’ve read about it I think a 15.5″er is quite large for this species.

BBKK
    IA

I don’t think it is really rare, but they arent real common either. There are a bunch in the miss river but most people don’t even know of them and just assume they are mooneye. 15.5″ is a big one. Congrats!

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

X2 Sounds kinda neat to see and fun to catch.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

X2 Sounds kinda neat to see and fun to catch.

Tons of pictures on the internet I’d bet. Hiodon alosoides is their name.

But yes, I’d like to see a pic of the beast also!

robby
    Quad Cities

Quote:

I don’t think it is really rare, but they arent real common either. There are a bunch in the miss river but most people don’t even know of them and just assume they are mooneye. 15.5″ is a big one. Congrats! [/quote

I’ve never seen one either and have fished from pools 3 – 18 for a few years. Kevin knows his stuff though.

robby
    Quad Cities

Is a GoldenEye in the Shiner family?

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Nope in the mooneye family.

josh a

[image]http://www.idofishing.com/forum/managefiles.php[/image]

Here it is, the elusive Mississippi river goldeye

BBKK
    IA

Nice fish!!!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t think it is really rare, but they arent real common either. There are a bunch in the miss river but most people don’t even know of them and just assume they are mooneye. 15.5″ is a big one. Congrats!

I’ve never seen one either and have fished from pools 3 – 18 for a few years. Kevin knows his stuff though.

I’ve personally caught three. Two in a creek off the Miss river (river fish that run up there) and one in the miss. All three on a piece of nightcrawler fishing for bluegill. They are there, just have to get lucky I guess. I’m not exactly targeting mooneye, nor do I catch a bunch. I would like to target them with my fly rod if the river would ever go down and concentrate the mooneye/skipjack. Maybe I’ll get another or two, if so I’ll send you a PM so you can get out and get your first Robby.

All 3 I caught were in pool 15.

Edit: but none were as big as the one in that picture! Mine were more around the 10-11″ range. Those yellow eyes coming out of the water sure do stand out, a lot brighter in person than in any picture.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

I’ve caught three in the last week on the MN river. All of them hit walleye jigs and plastics or minnows. Didn’t measure any but they all were at least 14″. Cool look fish for sure!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have caught a few over the years in the river. Most of them on jigs and minnows. Got a feeling its how most of us fish that we dont see more.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Good to see Gardy took a day off to wet a line.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Got a feeling its how most of us fish that we dont see more.

Bingo! that goes for most other species as well!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.