Pool 4

• JOSH192
    50 min from the river

Going down for The evening bite will post later on how we do. I was told to look for a guy in a pink kayak for all the latest hot tips for the mighty pool 4

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

Pretty slow a couple small male walleyes and two nice female saugers

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s it?

You did better then about 1/2 the 127 tourney boats.

josh-markell1
    on the water

You also did better than the guy in the pink kayak I hear he had a night full of carp and sheephead

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Headed out this morning! Hoping to get some for the fry pan. And won’t turn down a pig or 2! Hopefull they bite better for us non-tournament fishermen!

shockers
    Rochester

Glad I wasn’t the only one not having much luck. Boy. Tough day on Saturday. Great to be out. And only 127? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it that busy. Whew.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Saturday had the LPO as well. I’m not sure how many were in that tourny.

shockers
    Rochester

True. Crazy busy for sure. I just saw the results for the other one…even worse than the NWT one. Any theories on why – overall – it was so slow catching-wise? High flow etc.? I dunno. On the one hand I don’t feel quite so bad when the guys with the real nice boats/equipment also have tough luck. On the other…I’d like to catch a few fish. Sure was nice weekend to be out, though. And now looks like we’re gonna pay for our nice weather with a return to the 30s/40s. Argh.

BBKK
    IA

Could all the boats fishing it every day since Jan have anything to do with the crappy fishing? I mean seriously, from what you guys have said if it is halfway nice out there are tons of boats fishing. We see the same thing down here, the fish will be biting and you will get them good for 3 or 4 days until the word gets out. Once there are 30 boats sitting there the fishing goes to crap.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good point Kevin.

It’s different conditions then a month ago, but there were 100 to 200 boats from the Y to the dam and the bite was very good. That’s about a half mile stretch.

But then if I knew the answer, I would be a walleye guide.

hunter1723

Quote:

Could all the boats fishing it every day since Jan have anything to do with the crappy fishing? I mean seriously, from what you guys have said if it is halfway nice out there are tons of boats fishing. We see the same thing down here, the fish will be biting and you will get them good for 3 or 4 days until the word gets out. Once there are 30 boats sitting there the fishing goes to crap.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Two weeks ago Day 1 was won with 29. pounds and the same with day 2.

There were just as many boats out there then. They just didn’t all have 300 ponies on the back.

But it’s possible I ‘spose.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

several factors in play here but I think the one that is not being talked about is the moon phase with the major time being around midnight during the LPO and NWT. The Tourneys two weeks earlier would have been during the new moon phase, the majors and minors were a little more favorable, but new moon should equate to more steady daylight activity.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I think this last weekend hit the start of the majority of the fish spawning on-the-head. They had other things they instinctively had to take care of. It was a super small % of the population that was done spawning and beginning to feed. Sometimes a majority of the population will not eat and that’s all there is to it. I don’t think this years winter bite could have hurt the population, but I do definitely think that last years incredibly warm consistent winter bite possibly could have MAYBE dented the population. I still think the system is stuffed with eyes and saugs, but holy moses they are well fed, and you gotta be on your toes!
    just my 2 cents…

basseyes

We were out Friday afternoon, it was brutal. I kept smelling my fingers, wondering if I had poop on them. Or diesel or gas or something? Only saw two other fish caught. One a huge paddle and the other a dinky sheeper. Didn’t seem like there was a ton of boat traffic, even with the tourney going on. We’ve had some great days with 10x the boat traffic. We caught two and that was it. Tried all the way from the dam to the head of the lake. Glad to hear it was tough, I was about ready to give my stuff to a pan handler in Mpls and take up golf, to lessen the frustration level. Then I remembered, I’ve played golf before and it did little to relieve any stress. Although braking golf clubs or throwing them straight down the fairway or at trees sure is fun. Hmm? Never thought about cracking a rod in half and throwing it in the middle of the river or whipping it at a tree on shore.?! Doubt that would have helped on Friday. It sure hasn’t helped the golf game, just seems to make the divets bigger and the slice more pronounced.

I did hear, even the Grizz was having trouble, that made me feel a little better that the Great White Buffalo wasn’t smacking them. I might go pan fishing to boost the bruised ego after Friday. If that fails, look for some free fishing stuff signs in the Isanti area.

Fun thing for me on the river is those ever changing conditions. It keeps you on your toes. It’s always changing and forcing you to move, change, adjust and adapt. And even then, it still can kick you square in the man berries. And make you look through all your tackle and bags of tricks and still only find a big batch of humble pie.

spyder357

Must be the same story all over. Talked to a couple of the bait shops and they all say its been slow. Fished pool 6 sunday/monday and only managed a catfish and a couple of sunnies.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Check out this report along with the temp/flow/stage. It’s from 2006 if you missed it or forgot about it.

Post Spawn Eye’s<<

Now don’t take this wrong as there were way too many boats/river rats out there with nothing to show for it last weekend.

My point being that many many people are fishing waaaay too deep. One to two feet will hold incredible huge fish more so in “high” water.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

I know the way I fish the river now as apposed to 7 years has changed some being that when I am on the river I lean towards targeting bigger walleyes I have been going over some of my short notes over those 7 years and found an overall decline in amount of fish in general caught already taking into consideration fishing for bigger fish. The overall spring bite has been not good at all considering we have went back to three ways,handlines livebait scenarios just to catch fish with not much going. I don’t know if its fishing pressure or just another “different” spring also noticed the areas with fish have seemed to be the dam area only. seeing alot of people that are regulars always seeming to be at the confluence area of the river. The winter bite was good all winter and for all sizes chime on in I’m in the bewildered stage rite now obviously

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.