Cold weather line

• smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Going to make the 5 hour drive to p4 Thursday for my first time in the cold. What should I spool up with? Unloaded all the cranks, spinners, weights, pan fish lures never knew I had this much room

dbright
    Cambridge

I use mono on all my ice rods along with my long rods I use in the winter. The braid I’ve used freezes up much worse then mono.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I use fireline Crystal in 8lb 365 days a year

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Suffix 832

X2 – only I’m going to add Sufix 832 in 6lb test. Not 10lb test.
    I’ve been using the 10lb on all my walleye spinning rods. That stuff sucks up water as much as any other braid.
    Switched one reel to the 6lb last fall. That rod was much better when it came to the amount of water being pulled in with the line & into the reel.
    You will still get some water with this line, especially on really cold days. But it’s still fishable unlike the 10lb Sufix.
    Spraying the spool of line with silicone or Reel Magic will help. Just be sure to spray you spool of line prior to your first cast.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just wondering.

Does it really matter much now the temps are getting close to average? ‘Spose the lows are still below freezing huh?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

cold ??? Suppose to be 42 on Thursday

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Just wondering.

Does it really matter much now the temps are getting close to average? ‘Spose the lows are still below freezing huh?

It matters at night when I’m out wading in the dark.
    Temps quickly drop down below freezing after dark and water being pulled into the spool will quickly freeze.
    If that happens, my cast look very similar some rookie trying to learn how to cast a bullhead on a catfishing rod for the first time.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve found as well if the temps are right on that hovering point of freezing or not the slightest wind will for freeze it up as well. Looks to be a glorious spring day though Thursday good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.