Plugging live well ports?

• irishman

I see a bunch of you already have your boats in the water and are pulling fish off Pool 4. I had someone tell me that they heard some guys are plugging the intake for their live wells to avoid any frozen pipes. Is that correct? Do you have any other tricks for cold weather boat care?

jeff4054

If that is true then what are you using to plug hole to make it water proof?

BBKK
    IA

Absolutely, you can get plugs at a hardware store. Plug the outside of the boat, intake and any overflows that are below the water line. Pull the plugs when you get home to make sure no water accidentally got in.

Also make sure your motors are always in the water while fishing, you don’t want to raise it and have water freeze inside while you are fishing. Make sure you raise the motor up and down a few times to get out every drop of water that you can.

scott-k
    Red Wing

I have cold storage for my boat and fish in it nearly every week of the year. Sooooo…I do use plugs on ALL external holes so no water can get into the boat at all. I bought the small flip over plugs like the ones inside my live well for the back of the boat for the intakes and drains.

The overflow drains from my front live well required bigger plugs though.

Purchased all from my local shop in Red Wing….West End Sports

Most anybody that has boat supplies will have plugs though.

Probably won’t need them much anymore though

jeff4054

Thank you heading to nelsons in the morning!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Probably won’t need them much anymore though

I would agree. If you are planning on fishing next year in the dead of winter you way want to spend the money, but tonight there were guys running their livewells. I use a bucket and keep mine shut off personally but my boat comes home to a heated garage when I’m done for the day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.