Dubuque Tailwater in a Kayak?

• frankb

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has been fishing the dam at Dubuque at all? I’ve fished there a few times from the barge with some luck, but not much.

I got an 8ft sit-on kayak for Christmas this year and was wondering if anyone fishes the tailwaters from a kayak at all and if you think I’d be crazy for trying it?

Iowa DNR says the tailwaters are socked in with ice and boats can’t be launched…. Might be a perfect time to get out there in the Kayak.

This is the kayak:
    Emotion Spitfire 8

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Frank-

You might want to rethink this. A Kayak on a river with water temps near freezing, no boat access for anyone else to assist you if you need help. If a guy went into that water with a survival suit on you could still risk getting swept under ice downstream. Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t think a veteran yak fisherman would even consider it.

Stay safe my friend.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Frank-

You might want to rethink this. A Kayak on a river with water temps near freezing, no boat access for anyone else to assist you if you need help. If a guy went into that water with a survival suit on you could still risk getting swept under ice downstream. Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t think a veteran yak fisherman would even consider it.

Stay safe my friend.

Exactly. Signing your own death certificate.

frankb

Ben,

Thanks for your input. I think I’m going to have to heed your advice here. You make some very sobering points.

I might however try the dells as I know the ice is completely out there and the current is much less treacherous. I also know the boat traffic will be there in case I go for a swim.

Thanks!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Frankb-

Call River’s Edge (for the Dells)… they most likely still offer a service of transporting you and the Kayak to the dam area, where you can fish up there, or work down stream. I have fished from the resort down river a couple times in the Kayak last year… the longer trips being around 11 miles to a spot called Pine Island.

If you are going with someone, and shuffle around a bit in a second vehicle, consider leaving a vehicle at the Highway O landing (down river a couple miles, on the opposite side of the river), and then fishing from River’s Edge back down to the landing. Once you get below an area called the Rapids, fishing can be very good, and unless water is high, you won’t see many others fishing the area as the rapids cuts off boat traffic from up river, and the small landing at Hwy O isn’t attractive to bigger boats. This is now one of my favorite places to fish period for all the reasons imaginable.

This all said… there can be a half way decent current right now. Not scary, but enough that you will cover some water drifting in a yak. If you are all new to kayaking, I would tend to consider waiting for a no current water, or warmer temps to figure things out. Anchoring can be a learning experience, setting up gear and all that has a little curve to it, and something about moving, cold water has mine still in storage.

From River’s edge, you would either find the most popular fishing spots down river, or a ways up river. Either is going to leave you with some paddling against current. I’ve done it… as have others. Just know it is a work out, and anytime in current, ya need to think safety.

I seen you posted a question on River’ Edge, on another site I am less likely to post on.

Have fun, and be safe.

frankb

Thanks so much for your very informative reply. Seems like I should probably wait to get out in the Kayak till the water temps warm up a little. I am in fact green to the whole kayaking thing. As soon as I have my first outing, I’ll be sure to post up a report.

Thanks again!

iowaeye

I fish pool 12 a lot and a kayak would be the last thing I would want to be on below the dam there. You can still access the tailwaters with a boat but you have to launch on the WI side on the sand bar at the mouth of O’Leary’s Lake. With the warm weather coming and the possibility of boat ramps still not accessible down river, there will still be a load of people launching from that sand bar. I have seen quite a few people kayaking down river though near the mines of spain train bridge at the mouth of catfish creek.

frankb

I’m familiar with the WI side sand bar launch as I have fished the barge there a few times. I’d love to get out there more often, but its a 2.5 hour drive for me from Illinois.

I’ve seen a few guys go out there in canoes fishing the tailwaters and I’d say that its much hairier than going out there in the kayak. I got the kayak that I did because it was built around being ultra stable. Its not a traditional white water sit-in kayak. I’ve seen videos of guys catching 8 ft tiger sharks out of the same kayak that I have. We’ll see how it goes once I get out there.

On another note, If any of you guys have an open seat on your boat, I’d be glad to meet you out there on a Saturday and pay for gas or bait

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.