Tody’s IDO TV Show

• BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was incredible action on those big lakers…4, 5 and 6 fish on at a time. Plus huge fish some running 30 lbs plus!
    Great show James and Grant!

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

And all of it done on walleye gear… NO DOWNRIGGERS! If that doesn’t look like fun time to check your pulse. You may have slipped over into the hereafter.

tweak

I have a question on the leadcore. What did you run for a leader, and did you run mono to the board and then leadcore, then leader?

When I have trolled leadcore (without boards), I just have the spool full of lead core (with a leader) and meter out the colors needed.

In some of the pictures it didn’t look like leadcore on the spool.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I have a question on the leadcore. What did you run for a leader, and did you run mono to the board and then leadcore, then leader?

When I have trolled leadcore (without boards), I just have the spool full of lead core (with a leader) and meter out the colors needed.

In some of the pictures it didn’t look like leadcore on the spool.

We’re fishing segmented lead core. So most of the reel is filled with mono or braid. To that we tie in 3, 4 or 5 colors of lead core. To the end of the lead core we add a 30′ leader of 20# flouro. Easy. Simple. The 832 leadcore is getting us 8+ foot of depth per color so at 3, 4 and 5 colors our spoons are running approximately 25, 32 and 40 foot, respectively.

We started our day fishing 2 rods of solid leadcore right off the sides of the boat but those rods produced very few fish while the boards were going crazy. We assumed this was due to the boat spooking the fish out to the sides and away from the leadcore rods without boards. It didn’t take us long to just pull them out of the spread and focus solely on the boards as the action was ridiculously fast paced.

I hope this helps explain how we had the rods rigged. If yu have any questions, just holler.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Does the dive chart change using 12# vs 18#? Also, what knot are you using to connect to backing and leader. Never touched Leadcore before, but a couple of the Tekota 500’s may get changed over this year.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Does the dive chart change using 12# vs 18#? Also, what knot are you using to connect to backing and leader. Never touched Leadcore before, but a couple of the Tekota 500’s may get changed over this year.

The dive chart is basically the same for the 12# and the 18#.

There’s lots of knots that can be used but I tie an overhand knot in the leadcore near the end and then use a palomar to knot the backing or leader to the leadcore using the overhand knot in the leadcore as a stop to keep my palomar knot from sliding off. Rock solid and quick.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

This was my first IDO show watching. I rarely watch anything but the weather channel. I have the dvr set to record from here on out. That looked like a lot of fun.

GlennRengo
    Maple Grove, MN

Ok so from the show I understand you are fishing on the Michigan portion of Lake Superior. As a walleye guy I have a couple of questions.
    1) Can you narrow that down a little bit as that is an enormous amount of water, close to what city? Not asking for GPS coordinates (unless you are willing to share them) just a little more info.
    2) what time of year was this, early spring? Late summer?
    3) did you keep any of the lakers to eat?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

1) Can you narrow that down a little bit as that is an enormous amount of water, close to what city? Not asking for GPS coordinates (unless you are willing to share them) just a little more info.
    2) what time of year was this, early spring? Late summer?
    3) did you keep any of the lakers to eat?

Sure, happy to throw in some more details.

1 – Grand Portage, MN
    2 – October
    3 – We kept one laker to smoke. All others went back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.