Pool 2 Walleye…

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

With some intel from a P2 regular, I decided to give this night wingdam thing a try. I was on the water by 3:30 p.m. and dabbled around here and there trying some pitching and trolling with nothing to show for it. Around 5:30 I decided to set up on a specific wingdam dam. I puttered around on it for a while and still no fish, but that changed. At about 6:30 I finally hooked into my first fish and from that point on until 8:30, I managed to put 13 fish into the boat. I had a pair that were 26 inchers and all the rest were between 17 and 24 inches.

1/16 ounce Draggon jigs with a 4″ Moxie in Firecracker/Chart. tail.

I hope to get out again tonight with Tyler.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Cal, Jake and I were out last night as well. The bite started a bit slow for the first 30 minutes or so as the sun was dropping but once it got good and dark the bite was on. Cal carries a golf stroke counter… at the end of the night the total was 67 with a bunch of fish in the 23″ – 27″ range. From here to ice up the bite should be very good.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like some great fishing guys.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Sounds like some great fishing guys.

We were wondering why we didn’t see your A-craft out there and then if dawned on us… deer hunting. I hope you shot your deer so you can get back out on the river.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

I was out also. Found a nice school of crappie in 10 feet of water. 1/16th oz jig with mini pulse r. Slow drop was key. Biggest was over 13 inches.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I was out Friday night and my fish counter read 19 at the end of the night…For me also alot of fish between 22″ and 26″ with big fish at 27″. Was a great night to fish with no wind.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

67 fish.. makes a guy wanna quit fishing. It takes me all season to hit that total.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

67 fish? That’s depressing. Almost as bad as reading about “We set up on a wingdam and caught 22 fish”. I’ve never….NEVER……found more than 2 or 3 fish on a wingdam. And I’ve never caught more than maybe a dozen Walleyes in one trip.

And you guys wonder why I like to fish for Bass with a fly rod

Rootski

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

67 fish? That’s depressing. Almost as bad as reading about “We set up on a wingdam and caught 22 fish”. I’ve never….NEVER……found more than 2 or 3 fish on a wingdam. And I’ve never caught more than maybe a dozen Walleyes in one trip.

And you guys wonder why I like to fish for Bass with a fly rod

Rootski

Guys… I’m actually sorry I put that in there as the number caught is definitely not something I focus on.

Northeast MPLS

Hey guys where are you getting the chartruese/white core moxis? Didn’t see them when I ordered for this fall.

Great reports, I had a slower night on Friday, but will be back at it tonight.

PLEASE use your lights out there after dark…I know they give off quite a glare when pitching from the rear of the boat, but at the very least leave your bow light on.
    The other night I was heading to my next spot only to have boat lights suddenly come on when I was within near sight of the wing dam, no safety concern, but if they had light on it would have saved me a boat ride as I could have seen them well upstream.

Be safe and have fun!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Should be back on the water later this week. Jonathan dropped abiout noon today when he finely got out to the deer stand. Climbed ionto the stand, turned around and point one in the ticker of a 6 point. All that is left now is cutting them up.

On my boat can put the rear light up front when sitting on the dams. Its helps with castng out the back of the boat an not having to stare at that light.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

In the interests of full disclosure, I am required to report that Rootski and Gary R. had a TREMENDOUS night tonight, with Rootski catching an even dozen Walleyes and Gary taking big fish honors with a heavy 28 inch monster.

I guess this means I can’t whine anymore

Rootski

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Quote:

In the interests of full disclosure, I am required to report that Rootski and Gary R. had a TREMENDOUS night tonight, with Rootski catching an even dozen Walleyes and Gary taking big fish honors with a heavy 28 inch monster.

Rootski

did you guys need a golf stroke counter to get that high?…or did you go off memory?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

did you guys need a golf stroke counter to get that high?…or did you go off memory?

Something happens to you once in your life, you remember

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Rootski

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I was out also. Found a nice school of crappie in 10 feet of water. 1/16th oz jig with mini pulse r. Slow drop was key. Biggest was over 13 inches.

Thats interesting about the mini pulse r’s and crappies. Have had a few crappies tackle the full size pulse rs before but then many more come up short on it. They do seem to like the tail action of them very well. First thing I thought of when hearing the smaller version was coming out was that it would be a great crappie bait.

Got any photos of those crappies? Its a bite I have still not gone after on pool 2.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Couple of “Recent Decent” fish from the daytime bite. Jigs and plastics. Can’t wait to get back down.

-J.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.