Find current, troll Flicker Shads for Pool 2 ‘eyes

• ccook
    Hastings Mn

I had the chance to make a quick run down to Pool 2 on Saturday morning. Went into it with no expectations, due to low water and light current. I’ve typically found river walleyes to be spread out in low-flow conditions, and I figured that finding a little current would be important. Indeed it was.

We found our fish on outside bends in the river with a little more current – a little sharper break seemed to help too. Our best presentation was pulling Flicker Shads downstream at 1.7 mph on the GPS. This is a pretty natural presentation, as the fish are accustomed to feeding positioned upstream, waiting for food to flow by.

We didn’t kill ’em by any means, but the bite was steady. Best of luck out there.

– Corey Cook

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice fish.

taz
    Frederic wi

Looks like a great day on the water.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here are a few fish we found over the weekend. We pretty much stuck to the wingdams looking for fish. Jigs with either crawlers or leaches took most of our fish over the weekend but did pick up a few casting crank baits to.

Was able to get the girls on some fish yesterday pitching wingdams with Dragging jigs. They are pretty new to pitching jigs and it was great to not have to retie one line for them. Trying to get a little practice pitching jigs so they will be ready for the up coming fall bit.

Still seems to be a pretty fair bite going on out there right now. Not finding huge numbers anywhere but most spots seem to be consistently holding a fish or two. What they are hitting seems to be pretty varied right now to. I like to pitch jigs so alot of my fish are coming in on them. From talking to others it sounds like crank baits and even pitching plastics seems to be taking fish to.

With out any drastic changes in river conditions this bite should continue on for a while. Should make for another fun contest at the end of the month here on pool 2.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I like your green toe nails, Mike.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What size jig head are you throwing right now?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sunday we where throwing a lot of 1/8th size jigs. They where getting down there pretty well in most areas with crawlers. Get a little wind or bulking up to some larger plastics and its back up to 3/16ths.

This week should sure see some water temps dropping. Sunday was bouncing around between the upper 60s and low 70s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.