no C&R for shore fishermen pool2

• riverdan

This has to stop I’ve told people shore fishing by the launch on pool 2 many times that its catch and release on all walleyes and saugers have to be put back but tonight again walleyes on stringers, makes me sick! The other day the dnr was sitting there doing boat checks I told them that there time would be better spent catching these shore fishermen keeping walleyes, I was told call tips if I see it, pretty sad!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where you been Dan?

Generally, I’m told the folks doing the boat checks have nothing to do with enforcement…unless there’s an issue with the boat check. Then your license number is turned in to enforcement and your friendly CO will pay a visit.

A TIP call or having the CO’s direct line in your cell is the best way for action to happen.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

Where you been Dan?

Generally, I’m told the folks doing the boat checks have nothing to do with enforcement…unless there’s an issue with the boat check. Then your license number is turned in to enforcement and your friendly CO will pay a visit.

A TIP call or having the CO’s direct line in your cell is the best way for action to happen.

X2 nice to see you concerned about catch and release too! hope your summer fishing has been treating you well, good luck out there and start calling them poachers in, it does work from time to time.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Im down there most nights and have seen this a few times. Im pretty sure its the same 2 people.. they fish 3 lines a piece and hog the whole concrete pier

mud

I was fishing down there a few weeks ago in the high water and there was a family that pretended to not speak english. they had 6 walleyes on the stringer. I did get them to let them all go back. Took awhile. And yeah, as soon as I caught a fish they were bombing the hole where I just caught it. So I started throwing my buddy’s dogs ball evrywhere they were fishing. They finally got it and left. Labs are fun to have around!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ask them if you can take a picture of them with their fish.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

This has to stop I’ve told people shore fishing by the launch on pool 2 many times that its catch and release on all walleyes and saugers have to be put back but tonight again walleyes on stringers, makes me sick! The other day the dnr was sitting there doing boat checks I told them that there time would be better spent catching these shore fishermen keeping walleyes, I was told call tips if I see it, pretty sad!

I have actually seen this a couple times myself. I have even gone over there to advise them, only to run into a language barrier. I don’t recall, are there regulation signs down there? If so, in different languages (sad but necessary)? If not, there needs to be. When the water gets high, people really slaughter them at that launch.

-Drew

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Drew, I have a problem with the whole language/sign thing (not that anyone cares).

If someone (anyone) doesn’t know the rules, they shouldn’t be fishing or driving or any of the other privileges we have. The taxpayer shouldn’t have the financial burden to make laws in other languages. A couple tickets and people will be able to know the laws right pronto.

Try running with out navigation lights in the dark sometime , tell the CO you didn’t have a watch on board because you couldn’t afford one.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law…unless youre an immigrant. Ive seen this far too many times, even down on the Cannon. As long as you can claim a language barrier, its a warning. Sickening, ridiculous society we have…

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Drew, I have a problem with the whole language/sign thing (not that anyone cares).

If someone (anyone) doesn’t know the rules, they shouldn’t be fishing or driving or any of the other privileges we have. The taxpayer shouldn’t have the financial burden to make laws in other languages. A couple tickets and people will be able to know the laws right pronto.

Try running with out navigation lights in the dark sometime , tell the CO you didn’t have a watch on board because you couldn’t afford one.

I agree 100%. They read the license in english and signed it when they bought a license, so they can read the regulations or get a ticket. If they do not have licenses then they should get a ticket.

I have seen it too many times with the people of Asian decent here (not singling out any group, just what I have witnessed here). They catch a walleye that is not legal and it goes right in the bucket. The conservation officer checks him/her and the fishermen say “no english” and walk away. The officer can’t tackle them to keep them there, so they get away every time. Sometimes the conservation officer will ask “anyone here speak english” and nobody raises their hand, when you know darn good and well half of them speak enough english to understand what he is asking… after all when the fish was caught they were all screaming “wallalleye”.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

No lo entiendo

¿Por qué se mete conmigo

Bellas voy a tomar mi pescado y volver a casa

por cierto ¿qué diablos es un genio del bagre?

Dios adiós a mis amigos

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jeff I thought you were going on a Mexican vacation or something.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Yo trabajo aquí en el aeropuerto, necesito unas vacaciones lejos de los mexicanos.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Damn union workers.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Yo trabajo aquí en el aeropuerto, necesito unas vacaciones lejos de los mexicanos.

Yo vivo en Esparta y la necesidad de la ruptura misma

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Considero mi trabajo como una mercancía,
    Se pround Sea Unión

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

We’ve all been brainwashed!!!!!!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Plenty of people who speak English and other languages break the C&R law on Pool 2. Please call the DNR TIP line if you see it! Put the number in your phone: (800) 652-9093

jiggin-rake

The people i seen fishing illegally were whiter than my

jiggin-rake

This poacher is 5 foot 10 and 230 pounds. Bald with a goatee and drivves a chevy corsica and lives in newport. He said he cooked up the walleye he caught 2 nights ago. Also he has a southern accent.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

The people i seen fishing illegally were whiter than my.

My comment about the sign was not meant to be racial. I was simply trying to say that people use language as an excuse for not understanding the rules.

Two Saturdays ago I was trolling along a property on p2. A kid came down to the water, and politely asked me if he could watch me fish. For the next 10 minutes, this youngster talked my ear off. One of the things this kid said to me was, “we eat walleye out of the river all the time. Some people think it’s bad for you, but my dad says that’s not true.” I didn’t take the opportunity to inform him that you are not supposed to keep walleyes out of this stretch of the river, but should have.

My guess is that a lot of fish are kept out of p2, and maybe the DNR needs to post the regulations at various entry points and maybe even along the banks. I know many will say, “people need to read the regs and know the laws for the body of water they are on.” While I agree, let’s face it, this not a reality. A proactive solution is the best solution. Smother people with the regs and there will be no excuse.

-Drew

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I try not to think about it because the number of fish kept is very likely alarming. At least its only a fraction of what would be kept if the whole stretch were wide open. All we can do is call it in.

riverdan

Sigh hangs at the launch, looks prettt easy to understand if you ask me, right?

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

As an enforcement character myself (not DNR), I’ve run into this several times (attempted language barrier). I generally give a verbal warning – twice – in the conversation. Then I proceed to take out the citation booklet to write “the ticket.”
    You’d be suprised at how fast everyone tends to react when this happens. ….It’s like…instant miracle… They immediately understand. IMHO – They all know the rules. Come-on…. This is MN. The land of 10-Billion rules – with “fun” being the most highly regulated activity.

buschman
    Pool 2

Keep calling that tip line. I have seen this as an issue in both P city with over limit and under slot eyes and a CPR violations down in GCI. It took a few calls but did see results myself. Actually cleared out the area a little. That was not my intent. Most days where there appears to be a language issue there is not… I do agree there. Everyone usually has one thing in common. They love fishing and if you catch a few fish and keep a smile on your face there is usually someone that suddenly will speak with you. From there you can learn alot and meet some nice people. So when it gets to a minority issue I believe they know the LAW. Like any race some people will bend or ignore it. The olny thing we can do is call the tip line and let the guys know the CO will be there tomorrow to check them out. No matter how nice you are or angry you are it wont change what some people are doing most days. A fine will.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.