Lead Core Outfittine

• elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I have not used lead core for many years. I want to spool up one rod and experiment with it again on the river. What lb test lead core do most of you use. How many colors would you recommend putting on the spool? How long of a leader seems to do the best for most of you? Any information or suggestions to help me be successful with this would be greatly appreciated.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Use 17lb. leadcore with the largest line counter they make. I use the accudepth 47’s and fill it full usually holds all 10 colors of lead. For the leader just simply use a 5-7 ft. braided line leader. I believe I run 20 or 30 lb. braid with a #2 crosslock snap.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I use 27lb lead core (it’s personal preference in snaggy waters as the sink rate is the same)with about a 10 foot fluorocarbon leader tied to the lead core with a Willis knot and a small cross lock snap to the bait. The number of colors you put on depends on the depth you are fishing. For river fishing 2 or three colors is typically sufficient however I use both Accudepth 47 as well as 27’s on my shorty rods and fill them right up. Line counter reels are not necessary as the line is metered by each color being 10 yards but I like to be more exacting by using the line counters. Sink rate is around one foot down for every two yards out so about five feet per color out at speeds around 2 mph. If you go faster than about 2.5mph it messes with the sink rate and the lead core will lift and ride higher.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

Use 17lb. leadcore with the largest line counter they make. I use the accudepth 47’s and fill it full usually holds all 10 colors of lead. For the leader just simply use a 5-7 ft. braided line leader. I believe I run 20 or 30 lb. braid with a #2 crosslock snap.

X2 except we run 14lb braid…I don’t want to run the risk of the lead breaking and not the leader. just personal preference.

tgif

I can get 6-7 colors on a Daiwa Sealine 27LC. I’ve never needed more on 4. I use Cabelas 18# Leadcore….the best I’ve seen and I’ve turned other brands down for free. It has the best sheath durability IMO.

Numerous ways to tie on your leader, but loop to loop or adding a barrel swivel between lead and leader are quick ways to re-rig in the event you snag up. Tie up back=up leaders ahead of time!!

A Sealine 45LC will easily get 10 colors of 18# on if your looking to fish deeper than 30ft.

riverking
    se iowa

elk-addict it all depends on where/how deep you’ll be fishing. there is no sink rate difference between the #test lead core lines. if you are going to be fishing in 25-30 FOW pulling the crank at 2-3mph you’ll need a bunch of colors(5-8) if you are going to be trolling in 10-15FOW at 2mph you’ll only need 2-3 colors. and you do not have to have a counter reel-any reel that will hold 4-500 yds of mono is all you’ll need since lead is colored coded all you need to pay attention to is the # of colors let out. hope this helps.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Quote:

X2 except we run 14lb braid…I don’t want to run the risk of the lead breaking and not the leader. just personal preference.

Nah no worries there! just straightens the hook out first anyways..jeez Jr. jk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.