Sauger/Walleye Taste Test

• cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Absolutly have to remove the blood lines and all the dark crap from any fish as far as that goes. Dan wins a prize for the only person that even mentions texture. And I guess I would agree with that As far as anyone tasting a difference I doubt most people couldnt even tell the difference between Cod and Walleye

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would pass on walleye for cod fish. Hard to beat cats from a fresh clean water source or eel pout.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll take a sauger over a walleye any day. Reason?

Because I like a 14 inch sauger/walleye, but we can’t keep the 14 inch walleyes.

I know a few guys that cook up channels frequently. On one occasion they were chunked up and there was walleye included.

I couldn’t tell the difference even in the texture.

herb
    6ft under

With enough beverage, it all tastes good.
    That’s what I heard anyway.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I know a few guys that cook up channels frequently. On one occasion they were chunked up and there was walleye included.

Ummm….taste like chicken!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I just fished with a couple guys from Kansas who swore that there was nothing better than the belly meat off big flathead cats. They both swore it was better than walleye, perch, or anything else for that matter. I told them I thought they were nuts and they should put those big fish back when they get them off their arm.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

It doesn’t really matter if the fish is a walleye or sauger to me, they both taste the same. But if it comes from the Missy or MN river, the texture is mush. It is sawdust like.
    Pretty sure its the shad, but who knows. If I keep some, I usually pickel them, firms em right up.

hnd

Quote:

I just fished with a couple guys from Kansas who swore that there was nothing better than the belly meat off big flathead cats. They both swore it was better than walleye, perch, or anything else for that matter. I told them I thought they were nuts and they should put those big fish back when they get them off their arm.

a guy here at work swears by the belly meat of catfish. he brought in some and it tasted like crap.

riverdan

Its all perspective really, just like the saying one mans trash is another mans treasure!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

or fillet them as you catch them and pack them in ice immediately.

I thought I heard that this is not legal? No filleted fish in the boat someone told me. Anybody know the rule on this I may be thinking of Canada rules and the guys I fish with maybe just full of sh_t.

I can not tell the difference in the 2 they are all good. But if someone wants to do a blind taste test count me in as I never pass up a free fish dinner.

During the summer, I’ll cut the gills and let them bleed out in the live well immediately after being caught. Then after about 3-5 minutes or belly up, move them into a cooler full of ice. Filet immediatly once you hit shore. No blood, nice clean white filets.

p.s. I always bleed out my fish. I just add the step of cooler full of ice on hot summer days.

-J.

riverdan

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

or fillet them as you catch them and pack them in ice immediately.

I thought I heard that this is not legal? No filleted fish in the boat someone told me. Anybody know the rule on this I may be thinking of Canada rules and the guys I fish with maybe just full of sh_t.

I can not tell the difference in the 2 they are all good. But if someone wants to do a blind taste test count me in as I never pass up a free fish dinner.

During the summer, I’ll cut the gills and let them bleed out in the live well immediately after being caught. Then after about 3-5 minutes or belly up, move them into a cooler full of ice. Filet immediatly once you hit shore. No blood, nice clean white filets.

p.s. I always bleed out my fish. I just add the step of cooler full of ice on hot summer days.

-J.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.