Pepin Report

• jech84

Fished out of Lake City last Friday and did alright. Caught a TON of short walleyes and saugers and ended up being able to bring home 5 keepers. No big fish but had a good time. No real pattern to the fish as we caught them lead lining raps and jigging.

At one point we decided to pitch jigs along a point and got into a mess of bass. In about 20 mins we caught between 35 and 40 small mouth, large mouth, and striped bass between the three of us. They were all stacked up in an area about the size of your truck. What a great time! Almost every cast was a fish and we had 4 triples!

Saturday we decided to dock out of Wabasha and try Lacupolis. Man did we have a good time. We caught walleye, 3 channel cats, about small 10 pike, 1 huge carp(18.5 lbs), one 11.5 inch crappie, one mooneye, what seemed to be HUNDREDS of sheephead. At the ended of the day we had 8 nice walleyes (between 16 and 18 inches) in the live well and that one crappie between the 4 of us. Caught a probably another dozen or so walleyes between 13 and 14.5 inches. My sister’s boyfriend was with us and he informed us at the ended of the day that this was his first time ever catching a walleye! The only big walleye of the day got off at the boat .

One thing I need to get better at is taking the time to take pictures. Really wish I had some more pictures in the boat.

Finally to end the weekend I became a first time uncle! My brother’s wife had a beautiful little girl! Great weekend!

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Good report and congrats on being an uncle

I had similar luck out of Pepin, WI on Sunday. A lot of short fish and a few walleye and sauger in the 16-20″ range. Red Craw was the best color for me followed by fire tiger trolling leadcore in 16-20′.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Looks like a good time!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Thanks for the report and pictures, I was out on Fri and Sunday with similar results. The big difference for me from a fabulous bite last year is that keeper sized saugers aren’t cooperating for me. Poor crop of fish or have I lost much touch? I seem to get the short walleyes in my spots instead. Other folks noticing that as well?? I hope to be fishing when all those 14″ walleyes grow into the 15″ range!

shockers
    Rochester

I thought the same thing. Lots of short fish, both eyes and saugers the last couple times I’ve been out on Pepin. And yeah, I hope this means fishing will be awesome when those 14 inchers grow up. That said, it would be nice to catch a few bigger fish now. Oh well.

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

We had a very good day on the lake also. My wife caught this 32″ Walleye on Saturday. Now she has one for the wall in our house. She caught it on a wing dam in 5 FOW using 3/8 oz short shank lead head brite orange with a nite crawler.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

That is a whopper. Congrats to your wife.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.