lead linning

• ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

This up comming summer(if it ever comes) I would like to try pulling lead core with floating raps on pepin in deep water. I’m just wandering how to pull it off? I never used lead line before. Is there a certain way to do it. I got line counter reels too. Thanks yo!

drew-evans
    rochester MN

well its not too difficult i would recommend going to gander or cabelas or hooking up with someone who has had experience in it to show you how to set it up. i use a 6 ft mono leader on pepin and longer leaders in clearer water, with a small barrel swivel I tie braided sleeve of lead to mono then i use the colors of lead instead of a line counter but both work. after you are set up you just need to play with # of colors for depth and suck.

TJB
    Cottage Grove, MN.

You tube worked for me. I would however recommend SR or SSR number 5 and 7 with a 50 of vanish tied directly to the rap NO swivel and a small barrel swivel to the lead. You will take the rap depth and then 5 feet down per 30 feet or color. I use 18 suffix lead with colors and 10lbs vanish. I fish the same area and man does it produce fish. I want to try 3 way rigging this summer with 2-3 oz and a original floater on m/h bait caster. Obviously this would be a 2-6 foot of mono and be right on the bottom. Shot me a PM and we can meet up sometime. I am in cottage grove and can show you some spots on the Croix.

john_steinhauer
    p4

A good starting point is that the general rule of thumb is that 1 color (30 feet) of lead core will get you down 5 feet, 2 colors 10 feet etc. That rule of thumb assumes you are going about 2.5 mph.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Here is a good article on the basics of lead core that Jason Halfen wrote when he was still hanging around the site. Its a good thing to read before you start pulling lead.

Leadcore

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

The best suggestion I can give is to buy a good rod that will telegraph the lure when running a #5 shad 4-5 colors back.

There is nothing worse than not knowing a leaf has fouled your lure and tangled into your spread of 3 other lines.

You might find a good rod here.

gdickmeyer
    millelacs

I have tied my line directly to the lead core and have also used a small swivel.On the business end i always use a small wire clasp or snap (a snap swivel minus the swivel)I have found IMO that tying a knot directly to the crankbait can cause it to not run properly.the knot can slide up or down or side to side and can cause the crank to be out of tune.Plus changing cranks is done in a matter of seconds! just my 2 cents lead core trolling is a blast and have fun with it this summer! see ya on the water Chief

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Thanks for the info guys!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.