Walleye Jigging Rod

• Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I currently use a White Noise ML combo for jigging. I want to upgrade from there. Maybe a smidge stiffer and more sensitive. Any suggestions between that and the Walleye Sweetheart? I have a Gander Mtn Med combo but that thing is like a tree trunk. Maybe just stop being a tight wad and get tbe Sweetheart?

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Im happy with my TUCR Commander

Ice Cap

I’m not familiar with the White Noise one you refer to but I’ve been using a TUCR Fusion and a Precision the past 2 seasons. Love both of them. They are pretty similar with the Precision gets to the backbone a little quicker. The Fusion makes those 16 to 19″ walleyes a lot of fun to catch.

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

I got a Walleye Sweetheart thinking that would be my go-to jigging rod, but it was a little stiff for the majority of my fishing. Smaller Walleye hardly put a bend in the rod. I love that rod, but now only use it for the heavier stuff. This year I got both a TB Perch Sweetheart and a TUCR Fusion and both are great rods. I do have a slight preference to the Perch Sweetheart. That has the perfect feel for me when using 1/8-1/4oz lures.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Keep an eye on classified section, I’ve gotten some good deals on rods I just didn’t want to pay full price for. Tucr commander, thorne Walleye and perch sweetheart, dh perch pounder walleye stinger, jt has a couple of options. Decide what size jigs you want it to work for and keep an eye out.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I should have been more detailed when mentioning the Commander. That is my go-to rod when Im on lake that has a higher potential for fish over 20″. If fish that size are larger is pretty unlikely, I also use the DH Customs Perch Pounder and TUCR Fusion. The Fusion allows for a more visual bit as the tip is softer and the transition to backbone is further down the blank. The Perch Pounder has more of a backbone than the Fusion

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What size lures do you want to run with this rod? That makes more of a difference on which rod action. Thorne, TUCR, others all make very very nice rods.

ex. TB Perch vs Walleye sweetheart. I have the TB Perch and wouldn’t want anything stiffer. My go to lures are typically 1/8oz.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I have a two Walleye Sweethearts that I almost never use since I almost never hit big fish nor require the use of a heavy lure. By heavy lure I looking at starting 1/2 oz to 1 oz.

Data collection just on tip bend

Side to side comparison of rod tip blank deflection with one ounce weight. It’s just all eyeballing but the results was quite eye opener for sure. It’s​ one thing to feel by hand and I was sure that the St Croix Premier Ice UL was the softest rod.

St Croix Mojo UL 28″ dropped 5 3/4″
    13 Wicked Ice UL 27.5″ dropped 6 1/2″
    Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice UL 26″ dropped 4 1/2″
    St Croix Premier UL 28 dropped 6″

The half ounce weight results.

St Croix Mojo UL 28″ dropped 3″
    13 Wicked Ice UL 27.5″ dropped 3 1/2″
    Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice UL 26″ dropped 2 1/2″
    St Croix Premier UL 28 dropped 3 1/4″

What an unexpected results. 13 Wicked Ice UL is the softest rod blank

Moving onto the ML and one ounce weight.

St Croix Mojo ML 28″ dropped 4 1/4″
    13 Wicked Ice ML 26.5″ dropped 1 1/2″
    Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice ML 32″ dropped 2 7/8″
    St Croix Premier ML 28″ dropped 3 3/4″
    13 Whiteout ML 27.5″ dropped 3″
    Fenwick Aetos Ice ML 28″ dropped 2″

The 13 Wicked Ice ML was expected to be really close to a medium power by hand feel. To my surprise the St Croix Mojo ML is the softest rod blank.

The Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice L 28″ dropped 3 1/4″
    Thorne Bros panfish sweetheart 32″ dropped 4 1/4″
    Thorne Bros perch sweetheart 32″ dropped 3″

So the 13 Whiteout ML should be very close to a Perch Sweetheart in terms of raw power.

Sylvanboat

I would STRONGLY recommend actually handling any rod before you buy. There is no conventions whether a rod is UL, L, M, MH etc. I would suggest having your White Noise Rod in your left hand and options in your right hand, and compare.

Cameron white

Look at the jt rods as well. I have the black rein and the gold digger. The gold digger would fit the bill.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thorne bros perch sweet heart is a awesome walleye rod, if slip bobbing then I use there dead stick. And if I’m looking for big fish I use the walleye sweet heart.

Snap

Thank you for the great content. People like you are the reason this board is such a terrific resource.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

slipperybob wrote:

Thank you for the great content. People like you are the reason this board is such a terrific resource.

x2 waytogo
    I am surprise where some of those rods landed in your test.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I got a Dead Meat and a Scheel’s Tournament ml. The Scheel’s is just what I was looking for, $15. I now have a
    8 rods & reels.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.