Walleye Ice Blanks

• Ryan Scholl

I have been thinking of building up a walleye ice rod. I’m thinking a 32″. Solid Carbon.

What blanks have people built up in a rod that length for walleyes? What do you like or dislike about them? I’ve been looking at everything that is available from Mudhole, Jann’s, and Sportsman’s Direct. Just looking for any opinions out there.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

What size eyes are you typically after? Will it pull double duty as a perch rod?

jgross
    Northeast SD

Call the boys at the Thorne Bros in the rod shop! They will sell you anything you need. They are very helpful and they share a lot of info with you! Also in comparison to the other places Thorne Bros has good pricing on components.

Ryan Scholl

What size eyes are you typically after? Will it pull double duty as a perch rod?

I wasn’t thinking of using it as a perch rod, primarily walleye.

Call the boys at the Thorne Bros in the rod shop! They will sell you anything you need. They are very helpful and they share a lot of info with you! Also in comparison to the other places Thorne Bros has good pricing on components.

Are we talking the price of blanks on their website? If so, they are a lot more expensive.

Aaron Drier

Sportsmen Direct, 34″ extreme taper solid carbon, cut it down to 32″. The reason I would chose the 34″ cut down rather than the 32″, is because the taper transition is further down the blank by about 2″. Or just make up a 34″.

onepine
    Elk River

DH Custom sells Blanks on there site. I really like the Aldente for a Walleye rod but it is a little light for the rippin raps so a Perch Pounder would be the step up to a solid carbon rod next step would be the Walleye stinger in a MH carbon rod.

http://www.dhcustomrods.com/product-page/166e0fd2-50f2-ed71-8dcd-be2310123742

http://www.dhcustomrods.com/product-page/a5d5dc52-2cdc-47de-9a1b-ba6ba01d3e47

http://www.dhcustomrods.com/product-page/1f7459df-6509-8266-4c21-dee8a3104e9c

milemark_714

Sportsmen Direct, 34″ extreme taper solid carbon, cut it down to 32″. The reason I would chose the 34″ cut down rather than the 32″, is because the taper transition is further down the blank by about 2″. Or just make up a 34″.

This is the one you want.A couple years ago,I made a pair from the Janns 31″ carbon blanks.As is,a little stiff for anything under 1/2oz.With a little tweaking,they fish W5 and W7 jig raps perfectly.Mine are 34″,I used a scrap piece of tubular blank to extend length.Thinned the tip to 032″,had 0 problems.

Aaron Drier

Hit me up in the off season or check out MidWest Rodworks on Facebook.

Ryan Scholl

thanks for all of the opinions. I was leaning towards cutting down the extreme taper carbon. It’s good to hear that other people were happy with that choice. That will probably be the one i go with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.