Walkie Talkies

• Andrew Rice

I’m looking to get some first hand input from people that can get 2+ miles reliably. I will be primarily using them for ice fishing so it’s all line of sight. I’ve got some that are 15 years old and claim 5 miles range. In reality the range is more like 1.5 miles.

I’m still undecided if I want rechargeable batteries or not.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Lol, when we were kids we called them walkie talkies, now I think they are just VHF radios. I have a pair of Midland radios that weren’t very expensive and work really well.

They sit in a recharging stand when not in use.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have this pair of Midland walkie talkies.

They claim 36 mi range which as you’ve pointed out is way more than what you would get under real-world conditions.

With that said I know I have used them to cover distances of over five miles up in Canada. These things are absolutely terrific when you’re off the cell phone grid.I got some funny looks when I first got them but pretty soon everybody absolutely loved the ability to talk between boats.

A couple of things. First these radios mix FRS and GMRS channels. Some of these channels are lower-powered than others. The radio output is lower on some channels due to regulations. Read the manual and make sure you are using the channels that allow maximum power.

I would absolutely get a set with rechargeable batteries. Most sets come with a 12-volt plug so that you can recharge the radios in the car or boat. Totally worth it.

Grouse

HookLine&Sinker

They no longer sell the radios with both FRS and GMRS frequencies. It’s one or the other, so pay attention to which one you want and are buying. Not many people know this and even fewer follow the regs, but a license is required to legally operate on GMRS frequencies.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have a pair of Midlands as well. Rechargeable. We use them on houseboat trips when we deploy the fishing boat to find a spot to park. Over.

Red Eye

Why not a handheld marine radio?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

They no longer sell the radios with both FRS and GMRS frequencies.

Just who is “they”?
    Amazon lists many buying choices with both frequency ranges built into the same radio. one such example; Amazon

“【Two-way Radio】These walkie talkies have 22 GMRS/FRS channels”

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yeah, I don’t know all the techno details, just saying that the manual that came with my Midlands says some channels are low power and some are high. The point is read the manual and use the high power channels if the maximum range is the requirement.

Very handy to have a good pair of walkie talkies when you have a group together fishing and even where cell phones are an option, it’s a lot easier to just hit the button and talk knowing the other party will hear it.

Why not a handheld marine radio?

The cost to buy a pair of marine radios is my reason for not going this route. You could also go CB handhelds, but again much cheaper to go with the walkies.

Grouse

Andrew Rice

I would primarily use them for ice fishing. And as we all know the cold is hard on batteries so having a compact walkie that you can keep warm inside your jacket is nice.

I think I have the lower power version of the radios Grouse linked. And just like him my buddies gave me a hard time until they started using them.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

We have about a dozen of the GT 3 TP units. Get excellent clarity and awesome range in the mountains. Only ones I Cary

Attachments:
    1. C7A9556D-6CFE-4E7C-9BC2-B0D7CE757DBA.png

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.