Wabasha backwaters

• BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Any idea of what the ice conditions are in the backwaters around Wabasha or maybe even the marina? I’m thinking of running down later next week and would be walking out, pulling my sled. I’d likely be staying in the narrower channels, not the open expenses of the sloughs.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m sure some of the usual community spots along the highway to Nelson are being fished. The marina is where I’d head if there aren’t a million people out there already. Wilcox might be a good place to snoop out too. Or maybe even West Newton.

tim hurley

I think people should be able to ask anything on this forum-but yep this site is just one source, and local sources can be better, sometimes baitstores can be great sometimes terrible. Hardware store, church, gas station, even produce stands in the summertime.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

ice differs every foot you take my friend…

And that’s the case no matter where or who you get the information from regardless of the weather.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Yes there are people who have been out fishing (myself included). Use extreme caution as temps have been above freezing for about 42 of the last 48 hours on ice that already wasn’t great. Without current, most places have ~4-5″ of ice. Any areas with current whatsoever are a no-go.

Fishing has been medicore at best. The high water for the entire summer and a good chunk of the fall really spreads fish out in the backwaters. When you see crowds it doesn’t necessarily mean fish are being caught, rather it’s a community spot. Don’t be afraid to stay away from people and reap the rewards

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Pritchards should be decent for walking. And with the high water into fall as bucky mentions, panfish should be easy to find back in there. Smokers bridge could be good too early like this.

riverruns
    Inactive

Ice today around here is looking like spring ice. Sunday was good ice. It looks way different today. We had some rain and some sun today. The flow is still very high.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to look for a smaller lake. I’ll let Old Man Winter get a better grip on the River.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.