Wabasha Area Backwaters Ice Conditions

• Duck2
    Mahtomedi, mn

Hello Can anyone fill me in on the conditions of the ice in the backwaters from Nelson on down past Buffalo City? Thanks

Owen Hess

The ice was very slushy but was a solid 8-10 inches.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The ice is anywhere from 6-14″ in places I’ve been the last 2 weeks. There’s a ton of slush in most spots though. As the river levels drop slowly and we get into a colder snap next week, things should firm up.

I’m likely done now until the ice starts to soften. The “dog days” of winter are here with ice over 12″ and fish becoming super lethargic. You will have to be willing to put on some miles now to find active fish. The popular landings a couple hundred yards off the highways are notoriously slow from now through most of February.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

I fished Spring Lake in Buffalo City last weekend. Full size vehicles, 6-8 inches of crusted snow turned slushy by end of day. About 12 inches of ice, since then temps have been in the 20’s and things froze up hard and tough walking across the ruts.

tim hurley

Bucky-new to the backwater thing-did well on a lake that was only 7′-lake ubruptly shut down. Do you think that lake might turn on again this ice season?
    Thanks

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bucky-new to the backwater thing-did well on a lake that was only 7′-lake ubruptly shut down. Do you think that lake might turn on again this ice season?
    Thanks

I’m no expert. Just when you think you know something about the river, it humbles you.

With that being said, if you are on quality fish anytime in late January through mid-February… I’d check back to that spot regularly as it’s far and away the most difficult time to stay on a good bite through river ice. Often times I find it’s not about what is under my hole for depth, bottom content, or weed growth but rather what is nearby that makes a spot productive on river ice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.