Voyageur 175 CS 115 Yamaha SHO

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Well now that Buster is out of the woods , i put down a grand on a new 2023 Voyageur 175 CS with a 115 Yamaha SHO with a Shorelander Custom roller bed . Still have my 1985 Lunker SS , amazing my next boat will cost 8 times more than it did in 1985 . I am excited , nervous at the same . Looking at the Ulterra 80 lb 60 inch shaft ? I’m thinking it will be long enough , going to a 72 inch shaft really to big ? Obviously 72 is staying the water . Wonder how rough it would have to get on the 60 before its popping out ? Also i lose some depth because of the Auto stow/ deploy motor . I am going get a transom saver , trailer to lower unit , need to get a towtector for the truck . It’s a 2300 lb trailer so it does not come with brakes , dealer thinks it fine .All 3000 lb Shorelanders have brakes . Time for a through brake check on my Ram . If anyone has Voyageur / or similar set up i would appreciate hearing your experience Thanks Don

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

At the dealer

Attachments:
    1. 6000000001_480px.jpg

Loomis13
    NULL

Congrats! Will be a nice update for you.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

2nd that!!! nice rig!!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice rig Don.
    I’m thinking if it were me i would think about moving up to the 3000 lb. trailer.It may be better in the long run.JMO.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Nice rig Don.
    I’m thinking if it were me i would think about moving up to the 3000 lb. trailer.It may be better in the long run.JMO.

Not sure what the price difference would be , it appears all the Voyageurs come with a 2300 lb trailer ? I priced a 2024 the same package with a galvanized trailer and it was 5000.00 more! Planning on running lithiums up front that will shave off around 80 lbs

isu22andy

It takes quite a bit of weather for my 60 in Terrova to come out of the water on my 18 foot crestliner . When it’s that rough I usually don’t even stand to get the trolling motor it’s rocking that bad. I’m usually getting the hell out of there when it’s like that . No regrets going with the 60.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

It takes quite a bit of weather for my 60 in Terrova to come out of the water on my 18 foot crestliner . When it’s that rough I usually don’t even stand to get the trolling motor it’s rocking that bad. I’m usually getting the hell out of there when it’s like that . No regrets going with the 60.

I’m thinking along same lines isu22 if its howling that bad , how does a guy have any control fishing ? Then it’s time to get loaded up .

Ripjiggen

60 is fine. Nice boat.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

60 is fine. Nice boat.

I seen a guy with a tiller Voyageur had a 72/112 lb on it was up for sale . It looked out of place , but wow he had plenty of power that’s for sure LOL

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I went with a 72″ for my 1875 ProGuide and glad I did. My boats a little bigger so the Shoreland’r trailer has brakes. I know you can stop significantly faster with trailer brakes.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

It only took 39 years this year to make up my mind ! Lol Looking forward to the extra room and a wheel boat . Only driven 2 in my life come to think of it , first was USS Saratoga CV60 emergency aft steering i got to turn one of the 22 ton starboard side rudders with a wheel that was like 14 dia , it was hydraulic but turned a degree with steady pressure about 1 every 3 minutes LOL not fun . The second on Lake Superior Lake trout fishing . Little nervous cause i know its going to be a learning curve on operating it , read a lot about it but not the same as getting behind the wheel. Thanks Don

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

It only took 39 years this year to make up my mind ! Double post

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I went with a 72″ for my 1875 ProGuide and glad I did. My boats a little bigger so the Shoreland’r trailer has brakes. I know you can stop significantly faster with trailer brakes.

Dry weight is 1010 lbs so 400 dry weight more than what i have now , most definitely have to be aware of that while towing .

MX1825

Congrats Don. Looks awesome.

On the trailer I would upgrade.
    The trailer,boat, motor, troller, batteries/charger, fuel, gear, anchor, etc. will be pushing the limit on that 2300 lb trailer. JMO

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Will be talking to dealer about that . Thanks MX

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have a 60″ trolling motor on my 17′ fiberglass Tuffy but have yet to see a need for anything more You’ll be fine with that length.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will say I have had the 60 inch pop out of the water more than once and it sucks not being able to hold a spot. Would it be worth having the extra length I’m not sure but I would consider it next time I purchase. All the time it happened to me it was rough for sure, maybe I should have just packed it in. Congrats on the new rig.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have a 60″ trolling motor on my 17′ fiberglass Tuffy but have yet to see a need for anything more You’ll be fine with that length.

Appreciate it Buckey , coming from a PD 55 45 inch shaft when it started popping out it was time for me to go . It was on a 16 ft Alumacraft Lunker SS smaller lighter boat . Im thinking the Voyageur ought to sit down better

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I will say I have had the 60 inch pop out of the water more than once and it sucks not being able to hold a spot. Would it be worth having the extra length I’m not sure but I would consider it next time I purchase. All the time it happened to me it was rough for sure, maybe I should have just packed it in. Congrats on the new rig.

Thanks John as i age id rather sit it out during those bone jarring rock and roll dance that happens when it gets rough LO L Have recent memories being in a LUND 1700 on Devils Lake C5/C6/ C7 neck fusion almost brought me to tears. Just can,t take pounding anymore .Sure don’t mind a walleye chop , but 2ft breakers , nope . Been in 20 ft swells in the Mediterranean almost walking on the bulkheads , but it least we did not get pounded , benefit of being on an aircraft carrier

Stanley

Congrats on the new boat. I have a comp 185 with a 60” terrova and had an 17’ smoker craft before that with 60” terrova and no problems. If it gets that rough out I’m heading to shore. About the brakes I would look into it. My 17’ didn’t have breaks and the 185 does and it makes a big difference.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Congrats on the new boat. I have a comp 185 with a 60” terrova and had an 17’ smoker craft before that with 60” terrova and no problems. If it gets that rough out I’m heading to shore. About the brakes I would look into it. My 17’ didn’t have breaks and the 185 does and it makes a big difference.

Shorelander only puts brakes on trailers 3000 lbs and up . I checked on the 2300 lb roller i got . Brakes were not even a option if remember right .

Stanley

Now that I think about it my experience probably had more to do with my tow vehicle. I have a 99 GMC and a now a 16 F-150 also. I didn’t have the F-150 when I had my smoker craft. I think you will be fine. waytogo

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Now that I think about it my experience probably had more to do with my tow vehicle. I have a 99 GMC and a now a 16 F-150 also. I didn’t have the F-150 when I had my smoker craft. I think you will be fine. waytogo

I hope so Stan i have a 2013 Ram 5.7Hemi . I went with Lithium troller batteries every pound helps LOL

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Get the 3000lb trailer. I had upgraded on my Alumacraft 175 and it was great, my boat did not bounce down the road. My new Lund has the same 2300lb trailer your looking at and I wish I upgraded. I did find the parts to add brakes about $1000

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Get the 3000lb trailer. I had upgraded on my Alumacraft 175 and it was great, my boat did not bounce down the road. My new Lund has the same 2300lb trailer your looking at and I wish I upgraded. I did find the parts to add brakes about $1000

Its a done deal picking boat up this this saturday . I was told brakes were not available for the Shorelander Custom ? What did you get in a Lund ?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.