Vortex Diamondback Turrets??

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have not owned any Vortex scopes and have little working knowledge of them. Buddy wants to get his daughter a Vortex Diamondback and I see all the models he is looking at has open Turrets. Preference was capped turrets so it minimizes the chance of accidently moving them. How well do they lock in place? Would rubbing against a back pack walking be enough to move them? She is 13, so experience in checking them isn’t developed yet.
    Thoughts?

Reef W

I ended up with a Diamondback that has capped turrets, so no first hand experience, but when I was reading reviews I definitely saw it mentioned that people had issues with exposed ones moving a couple clicks.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Is there any reason he wants the exposed vs. capped turrets? Unless they plan on dialing regularly, better off with the capped turrets.

404 ERROR
    MN

I do not own a Diamondback with open turrets but I have an older Razor HD on a .300blk pistol with open turrets and I would say the detent is pretty strong on them. Never had an issue with them moving. However, I’ve only hunted with it twice and it was in a sling up front.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

August 5, 2022 at 8:38 am#2139619
    Is there any reason he wants the exposed vs. capped turrets? Unless they plan on dialing regularly, better off with the capped turrets.

I believe that’s what he’s saying, but the Vortex doesn’t come with capped as an option so he’s asking how “strong” are the detents.

IMO it doesn’t matter in that it’s just one more thing to go wrong. The problem I see with all the dial-o-rama scope doping turrets these days is that to make them easier to use, they stand up higher and have grippier surfaces. Which makes them more prone to snagging on cases, scabbards, etc, etc.

Pass. Just one more thing to go wrong and for a new hunter who doesn’t need or want the feature anyway…

Reef W

but the Vortex doesn’t come with capped as an option so he’s asking how “strong” are the detents.

For Diamondback I think they’re all capped except for the “tactical” models. There is a capped 3-9×40 which is what I got. Maybe just recommend he look at that one instead. The tactical ones all have higher magnifications if I remember right but can’t imagine anyone, let alone a 13 year old, would need it for deer hunting.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Preference was capped turrets

The plan is a 4-16x XX. Dimamond back 4-16 is a tactical model.

I’ve jumped through a bunch of manufactures’ product listing this week and they are all over committed to “Tactical”. Ridiculous. Even all my “Tactical” scopes I have on my big guns are capped. I simply remove cap and dial up what I want. Adds a good security blanket to my scopes.

Final selection was a no brainer – BURRIS
    Can’t wait to to finish this build for her. Had a custom barrel made for a Howa 1500 short action (.243). Bedding in a Boyd stock that I modified. Burris Veracity 4-20x50mm 30mm tube. It has a eye relief of 3.50 – 4.25 in, which should be great for her. Designed to spit 85-95 gr bullets at about 3500fps. Be a lot of fun to see her plinking steel at 300-500 meters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.