Vista Outdoors is Sold bye bye ammo

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Each year. More and more of the USA is being bought and owned by foreign companies. The Average American has no idea how much this is happening.
    Watch the Run on ammo that will likely come out of this. I see ammo shortages again in the near future.

Riverrat

Yeah at least before Remington went teats up there where 3 big distributors. Now anything CCI,Federal,And Remington will be under the threats for problems.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its a rather sad situation when a Company like Federal Ammunition ends up in the hands of a foreign owned company. Its the business world we live in these days. almost every business is for sale to anyone, If the price is right.

Riverrat

And Federal distributes Lake City ammunition, the ammunition that civilians buy in bulk for 5.56 and that gets distributed to the armed forces. As far as a I know the 6.8 hasn’t been started yet.

Reef W

Why does this mean “bye bye ammo”? ???

Riverrat

If I was a neighbor of Russia, and they had already controlled my territory twice, I would probably keep all the ammunition my newly acquired production facilities could produce. Just like an American corporation it’s all about the czech version of the benjamins. Is 303 british profitable? Off the table then. How about 400 whelen? And when as a customer you would like to make a point that you do need a certain kind of ammo produced you better be able to speak czechoslovakian.

Reef W

If I was a neighbor of Russia, and they had already controlled my territory twice, I would probably keep all the ammunition my newly acquired production facilities could produce. Just like an American corporation it’s all about the czech version of the benjamins. Is 303 british profitable? Off the table then. How about 400 whelen? And when as a customer you would like to make a point that you do need a certain kind of ammo produced you better be able to speak czechoslovakian.

That’s all pretty absurd and doesn’t even make sense. CSG is a huge weapons/ammo manufacturer already. They acquired 70% of Fiocchi a year ago and that’s still on the shelves in the US. If it’s “just like an American corporation” then either those things will remain profitable or they won’t no matter who the owner is. Do you think Vista Outdoors was just making things as a public service and losing money on it? Pretty sure you can still communicate in English too just like every other multi-national company, I bet the US contacts would work https://czechoslovakgroup-usa.com/

Riverrat

Absurds a bit harsh. It’s not a logical fallacy to claim that language and physical distance reduces the ability to project need. It would be absurd to think that as a Minnesotan my interest in a Minnesota based company would be just as high as my interest in the actions of a European company.

Brittman

It does not mean the end of ammo. Europe is a big producer of ammo and guns. When covid hit and their manufacturing went upside down for a bit … it impacted the US (reliant on European imports of ammo to provide balance) by tightening supply and driving up prices.

I see plenty of target loads produced in Italy, Spain, and elsewhere. Guns are produced across Europe and Eurasia (Turkey). The Czech Republic and much of Europe are heavily engaged in target shooting and hunting.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I too think it’s a little premature to get nervous about this situation. Now, if the Anoka plant is shut down and the equipment moved overseas, then I would be worried. I sure hope there isn’t panic buying over this. Prices and availability are finally getting to be reasonable again.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

And look at Fiocchi, an italian company that made a factory in Missouri a few years ago. Maybe Federal will be better under Czech control, only time will tell.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is the theory that this successful billionaire businessman spent $2B to lose/donate it? Or change the business in a significant way that it would no longer be worth $2B? These guys aren’t in the business of losing money. And even if they destroy the business, someone would buy the scrapes for pennies on the dollar and restart Federal as a local company again. Also, pretty sure the Intelligence Agencies and Armed Forces have a vested interest in maintaining ammo supply chains with secure owners. I mean you know I love a good tinfoil hat chat, but this one makes no sense to me.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Yeah I know LC for sure has an aspect of government control (they can cancel civilian POs to increase supply for military related activities), and it would be in the government’s best interest to make sure the actual infrastructure to manufacture ammo stays here.

I don’t see this being an issue unless the tin foil hat wearing types start buying cases and cases of ammo in a panic again….

Like Werm said, they’re not going to buy the whole works just to shut off supply to the populace who consumes the vast majority of commercial ammo in the world.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Fiochi is on the shelves?? Where?

I haven’t been able to find sh/t for ammo in years.

My son inherited a .410 and literally can’t find ammo anywhere in stores, had to order a case from Rogers only one load available.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Carver Fleet Farm had some last time I was in.

Riverrat

After working in logistics for an orange and black big box store I can tell you that distribution matters. That distribution is by major manufacturer. Vista used to visit those stores yearly and could tell you when there big shipment would hit the warehouse. I doubt customer service will be as good. And I don’t mean customers who buy by the box or case, I mean customers that fill warehouses. I could be wrong though and a European oligarch will be great at providing your ammo.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

deleted

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fiocchi is widely available in 12 and 20 gauge. I wouldn’t touch that stuff if it was given to me though.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I haven’t been able to find sh/t for ammo in years.

My son inherited a .410 and literally can’t find ammo anywhere in stores, had to order a case from Rogers only one load available.

Are you talking about Roger’s in Liberty?

That’s crazy, Steve literally owns a few cave storage units in the KC area to storage all of his ammo. He took us on a tour a few years ago, and I thought to myself, I could disappear from the face of the earth today. He even had a small area where he keeps his personal stash just for snow goose hunting. And he needed it, I’ve never seen a person pull the trigger more in a 36 hour period of time!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Looks like I’ll be buying another pickup load of ammunition this week while I can still get it. The race is on.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Yeah I know LC for sure has an aspect of government control (they can cancel civilian POs to increase supply for military related activities), and it would be in the government’s best interest to make sure the actual infrastructure to manufacture ammo stays here.

I don’t see this being an issue unless the tin foil hat wearing types start buying cases and cases of ammo in a panic again….

Like Werm said, they’re not going to buy the whole works just to shut off supply to the populace who consumes the vast majority of commercial ammo in the world.

I saw LC did just cancel all commercial orders.

Mark Uidenich

I work at Federal. We lost the Lake City contact several years ago to Winchester who severely under bid to get the contract and from what we understand are now loosing their ass on it.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

ammo’s been easier to find this year than at any point since 2008. i’d hope some of the distribution efficiencies brought on by this sale will help to increase that trend.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.