Vexlar glo ring

• Musky Ed

Has anyone used the vexlar glo ring? Wondering if I could adapt it for non ice fishing use? Specifically thinking about for salmon trolling in the evening where we switch to glo spoons. Right now we just use a small uv flashlight but looks as though I could adapt this to work off a lighter socket and a switch on the power cord.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

They work very well, I see no reason why that wouldn’t work for you. 👍

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

One of the most worthless things I’ve ever bought. Always in the way, falls off, and it’s hard to hit with a jig. I would tell you to buy a small UV flashlight. A lot less than the 35 or 40 bucks they want for them now too.

Musky Ed

Already have a light, this just looked really simple, but not sure it’s big enough for mag spoons.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i like mine. never falls of or is in the way. mine tucks away nicely under my Helix 7. ice hole power makes something similar that can be mounted anywhere and you basically drop your lure in it. i think that would work better for what your application.

Musky Ed

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks to be a few versions out there, most made for small lures. While lookingat your suggestions, I also saw some youtubes of home made versions that would be better suited to lures about 5″ long. Also would like a somewhat open bottom as lures would be wet most of the time. Maybe I’ll try and make one.

B-man

I’d say your mag spoons would fit through it fine, but it wouldn’t glow the whole thing at one time.

That said, I’d look into a home build that could handle flashers too.

A small plastic tool box, a couple rolls of LED tape, a switch and a power source (either a cord to a 12v outlet or it’s own small battery).

I use my spreader lights already on the boat, but I’ve contemplated building something to make it a little easier.

Musky Ed

I switch out to all spoons about 45 min before dark. Not sure right or wrong, just what I do.

Coletrain27

mine works great on my 28 although i dont use mine very often. i normally leave mine tucked in and it never gets in the way or falls off

404 ERROR
    MN

I like mine, they work awesome. With no bottom, you can light up bigger spoons. However, with no bottom, sometimes a treble gets stuck and your trying to fish it back out (pun intended). Never got it the way and it’s never popped off the swivel mount. I beat on my 28 too…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They work, I feel like the glow does not last a long on them as I get out of a good flashlight. So mine is usually not hooked up.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

They work really well. If you do a lot of flasher fly fishing, I wonder if it would be better to build a “glo-box” with some 12v black lights/uv light strips that you can just throw a mess of flashers into and get them charged up.

Ripjiggen

I would think something like this would be better for spoons.

Attachments:
    1. E78D414A-539D-42FB-B563-78F99F0B03E4.png

TMF89

I’ve seen a guy on the Great Lakes Salmon and Trout Fishing Facebook page selling up-sized ones for spoons and even a 9″ one for flashers. He doesn’t post any links or contact information aside from his profile though.

I’m planning on doing what B-man was talking about though. Just get $10-20 of LED light strips on Amazon or ebay and rig them inside a Plano box. Cut slots in the rows for the LED/wiring to snake through and drill holes for the power wire to exit the box. I’m thinking I’ll be able to use both UV and white lights, and I might even try coating the inside of the tray with tinfoil to go real crazy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.