Vexilar FLX-28 or 30

• iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I’m thinking of upgrading this season, I currently use the 22 but have an 18 as backup. I’ve been looking at both the 28 and 30, I am curious as to others thoughts and concerns regarding these two units, anything you can tell me is appreciated! Thanks…

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

I have a buddy who buys the latest and greatest whenever it comes out. Swears it will catch him more fish, but I outfish him every time with my 15 year old flx12.
    I can se my jig, read the bottom composition, and see the fish react to what I do just as well as with the newer tech.
    I switched to lithium batteries last season and that made me love the old flx12 even more.
    If I had 700 bucks to burn I’d get a helix 7 ice bundle for the GPS and contours, so I could ditch navionics.
    Some things to consider…

Matthew Sandys

If you are a gear geek I would get the 30 but is just wanting to upgrade get the 28. You can adjust the gain on the 28 to give you wider or narrow cone angle on the 28. 30 has it more refined where you can do cone angles. I have a 28 and see no reason to upgrade. I did put lithium in it and is a lot nicer for hole hoping.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The 28 would be what I’d get. I like the 5 color display and some of the other features but unless you’re a frequency expert you will have to do a lot of research to understand how to use all of them in a way that will put it beyond the value of a 28.

I know some guys that can and it is pretty impressive, but for me, I’d save the money and get the 28. It is a great machine.

That being said……..I love my Helix 7 too much. And when I do want to keep things simple, I just use my FL-18.

Jake
    Brainerd

I’d get any version of a vexilar as long as it’s an X version. The brushless motor is so much quieter. I could never go back to a louder/older model. Would drive me nuts.

LabDaddy1

Go with a marcum.

JK jester

Sorry for lack of help

LabDaddy1

I’d get any version of a vexilar as long as it’s an X version. The brushless motor is so much quieter. I could never go back to a louder/older model. Would drive me nuts.

Oh come ON! That hum is the music of ice fishing, nostalgic purrrrr

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I like my 28 but did change to a 12 degree ducer. All transducers from all Vex’s fit so they are easy to find. That idea that a preview is adjustable will get you about a 75-25% argument on whether that works or not. 75% say no, I agree. Biggest difference is the lithium battery. Just my 2 cents.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I went from the 28 to the 30. The 5 color display is great and I was impressed with the sensitivity on the 28. The cons of that unit were in shallow water. The pro view ducer was difficult at best to dial in. Maybe a wide beam or a dual beam is the answer on that. The 30 has user adjustable beam and frequency which solved that issue. If I was in a position to spend the money on a new 28 30 I’d say the 30 would be a better unit.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

Thanks for the responses so far, I’m not all that into bells and whistles and I do like the hum… And because I am Partially color blind from having optic neuritis the larger color pallet I think would be a plus… I also use a Proview but will switch back to a 12 degree or maybe a 9 if I can find one… I thought the 9 was for shallow water but not sure…

Duke M

You have a FL 22, the shallow water 10 ft. screen? That is my favorite for the kind of fishing we do. I think you’re lucky to have one, discontinued.

Sylvanboat

Not everyone wants to and/or is able to spend that kind of money on electronics. Just saying.
    [/quote]

That’s what second mortgages are for.

LabDaddy1

Not everyone wants to and/or is able to spend that kind of money on electronics. Just saying.

That’s what second mortgages are for.
    [/quote]

jester toast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.